Neck size/strength

Started by Neal Winkler, January 6, 2009 · 4 Replies · 3,632 Views

Neal Winkler

Coach,

Do you have your athletes do any specific neck strengthening exercises, or do you feel that adequate neck strength is already addressed by performing your general strength routines? Given the danger of a gymnast falling on their head, I suspect that it would be pretty important.

The reason I ask is that I feel my neck is a little small compared to the rest if my body. Also, I'm familiar with the neck harness and such, but I was just wondering if you do anything different.

Thanks!

Luke Leaman

Neck bridging has always worked for me to add neck mass. I do neck bridges on a Swiss ball a couple of times a week for up to 60 seconds. At 60 seconds I add weight.

sasquatch

I've wonderd how gymnast get their think necks also. Maybe from doing handstands partly? My neck strains when I do handstands sometimes.

Blairbob

Gymnast start working headstands from a relatively young age. Most don't ever work a head bridge at all. However, headstands aren't really trained to make strong necks unless you're part of the troupe at Shaolin that train it to 30m.

Most of the neck musclature has to do with all the upper body work.

FREDERIC DUPONT

Hi, I am reviving an old thread here; I wanted to ask an enlightened opinion on neck bridges:

They are fairly common in wrestling; some say that it is sport specific because it helps prevent the "pin down", but I've seen them done by non wrestlers.

It seems to be a fairly dangerous exercise, especially in its extreme ROM & weighted (nose bridges) and I don't know if it is recommended. From what I found, opinions vary greatly.

This looks okay to me: (the front bridge - pronated, balance with feet and forehead - looks okay to me too)

412117.1139170635924.mb-062.jpg

This does not look very safe to me:

attachment.php?attachmentid=23507&stc=1&d=1333708322

This image because some may find it useful:

412106.1139147449766.NeckLateralMuscles.jpg

Thank you

Fred