Tuck front lever pullups vs pullups

Started by Kai.L, March 4, 2013 · 9 Replies · 33,038 Views

Kai.L

When i was doing tucked front lever pullups i could feel it in my biceps so I was wondering which would be more effecient in targeting the back back muscles

Oh, and would tucked front lever pullups give a good carryover to pullup reps?

Any reply would be greatly appreciated! :)

Joshua Naterman

Tell me more about these back back muscles, please :)

 

Seriously though, the front lever rows are a bodyweight version of any other horizontal row. If performed correctly they will work your middle traps, rhomboids, and upper lats very effectively. These are also harder on long head of the triceps.

 

Pull ups will work your middle lats, and if done correctly lower lats as well, to a greater degree, as well as the lower traps and serratus anterior.

 

Both will work the rear delts and the rest of the posterior shoulder muscles reasonably well.

 

It is hard to say what works arm muscles more, I don't really feel a huge difference personally. If you feel FL rows more in your arms than you do in your back, you either have [relatively] weak arms (compared to your back) or you aren't using good form.

 

 

You should see a reasonable carryover to pull ups, and visa versa. The two exercises compliment each other.

lobster8

Will a simple Front Lever with the scapula fully retracted train the rhomboids the same way it would if you would row up from that position? (As rhomboids only retract the scapula!?)

Bipocni
Joshua Naterman said:

Tell me more about these back back muscles, please :)

You know the ones at the back.... of your back. B)

raja

When I first started training, I focused on chin ups and pull ups for the first 6 weeks. After I built some work capacity with chin ups, I had great success with training tuck FL rows for the next 6 weeks. After I built work capacity with tuck FL rows, I could do a chin up with +50% of my bodyweight. This was without training weighted chin ups.

 

 In my experience, tuck FL rows are harder than pull ups, and are a great bent arm pulling movement.

B1214N

Of course tuck FL rows are harder than pull-ups. They should even be harder or at least on par with L-sit pull-ups. 

 

+50% weighted chin-up is not bad for the first time. How many reps of tuck FL rows could you do back then?

Kai.L

haha what an old post! Im around a straddle FL now

timsen

Would advanced tuck front lever pullups help my get my straight arm straddle front lever , as much as tuck planche pushups helped me with get the advanced tuck planche?

Bipocni
timsen said:

Would advanced tuck front lever pullups help my get my straight arm straddle front lever , as much as tuck planche pushups helped me with get the advanced tuck planche?

About as much yeah.  Which is to say, not all that much really.

 

Straight Arm Strength and Bent Arm Strength are two completely different things...

raja
timsen said:

Would advanced tuck front lever pullups help my get my straight arm straddle front lever , as much as tuck planche pushups helped me with get the advanced tuck planche?

Extending into a straddle is a much bigger transition than going from a tuck to an advanced tuck. I have had good experiences with front lever rowing variations helping me progress to the next FL progression. Of course, I was also doing dedicated straight arm FL movements concurrently.