This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Scap Shrugs(sPL/PE1)

Started by deanb, March 4, 2013 · 6 Replies · 561 Views

deanb

I had a hard time with the scap shrugs. I felt like I could basically do it but my shoulders did not look like the guy in the video. I could not achieve that fold in the middle of my back. I was able to do the next few progressions fine. However, I'd like to know what to do to be able to do the shoulder shrugs better. I probably need more shoulder flexibility.

Joshua Naterman

Just work them over time. I don't think that extreme end ROM is anywhere near as important as some others might, so long as you have a good range of motion and move from pretty full retraction to full protraction, but there may be something further down the line, past F1-4, where this may be a limiting factor. This isn't a super crazy ROM to develop, honestly.

 

If that overall ROM I mentioned, going to full retraction and back to full protraction specifically, is an issue, you should really keep a few sets of those in your warm ups at the very least, and work on mastering them. They should not interfere with the regular push up progressions, but I think you need to master this before you start doing PPP.

 

Coach will say that it is very important to develop a full range of motion, and he's right. I think that you need to focus on doing so before you move on to PPP, I just think you can work push ups alongside without any problems at this stage.

 

I do think it would be a bad idea to try and do PPP if you haven't at least got very good retraction in the scapular push ups for the reps required.

 

Holding the bottom position for time may help you. Over time you will learn how to get that last little bit.

Joshua Naterman

It may help if you spread the weight out along your entire hand and fingers by pressing the entire finger (all of them) into the ground, and not just the tip. Then think about pronating the forearm as you allow yourself to sink down into retraction.

 

There is really no reason not to be able to do at least 95% of what is shown on the video.

Klaudius Petrulis

If you could post a video of your shrugs that would be great.

 

Personally I notice hand position is quite important. I was able to do these straight off the bat, but where I placed my hands made a big difference.  It may just be a matter of learning the movement and the muscles involved.

 

Keep us updated :)

deanb

Thanks for your help. I may post a video later.

Doddibot

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I was going to ask a very similar question. I can't really get full protraction for more than 5 reps in a row, and yet I can easily do 5x15 of the HBP/PE2 (pushups).

 

I was just wondering if maybe my pushup form would be suffering due to the obvious lack of protraction strength. I've posted about my pushups back before F1 (see here). Is it wise to still work pushups if I am still so lacking in the scapula pushup? I would assume that I'd need to at least be able to hold a good protracted plank for the same length as my pushup sets, given that a pushup pretty much is a plank PLUS shoulder movement.

Primate

Doddibot,

               Time to swallow your pride and head back to PE1 I think.  The protraction is extremely important in pushups, as the protraction is required for the movements you are building towards like sPL and HBP.  Start on week 1 of the scapula shrugs until you have the requisite strength.  You may need to drop back to HBP PE1 as well to ensure that you are getting full protraction at the top of the incline pushup as well.  That is the beauty of the F1 program, it highlights weaknesses that you may have thought you were beyond.  You need to be maximally recruiting your serratus anterior through the whole action of the pushup.  You may have the pec and tricep strength to excel at conventional pushups, but that will only take you so far.