Scapula During Pushups

Started by Doddibot, January 27, 2013 · 4 Replies · 2,684 Views

Doddibot

This is a gif of me doing a pushup.

 

test.gif

This is a link to a higher resolution (but black and white) version of the gif, in case if you want a closer inspection or if embedding this gif doesn't work.

 

So my question is, am I losing the protraction of the shoulderblades way too early? Especially on the way up it looks like I stay retracted for the entire first half of the movement.

 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't I start protracted and smoothly go into full retraction as I near the floor, instead of retracting so early on the way down and protracting so late on the way up? Or am I just over-thinking things

And if so, what can I do to correct this? Just strengthen the serratus, or is there some cue I can use to smooth out my scapular rhythm?

Thanks guys!

Keilani Gutierrez

i'm no expert and take what i say with a grain of salt :)

 

depending on what your goal is(like future development of planche) or punching power,etc

 

I've found that my pushups have gotten stronger keeping my serratus anterior strong and active throughout the range of motion. instead of freefalling the descent( im talking about feeling right now, not implying that you're doing it) actively go down and smoothly retract the scapula across your back, instead of just by consequence of descending with gravity. 

 

it's given me more protracting power and be able to consciously retract. 

 

more will also give you there insights :)

Joshua Naterman

You should always be in control of the movement.

 

Mindless movement is simply training your body to flop around :)

Doddibot
Joshua Naterman said:

You should always be in control of the movement.

 

Mindless movement is simply training your body to flop around :)

Control is good to have, but what do I do once I have control? I'm assuming I need to keep the scapula protracted for longer during the movement, so that it's a smooth even retraction throughout rather than a quick retraction and then nothing for the rest of the movement.

But maybe I should maintain full protraction for most of the movement, and then only retract near the end? I'm not totally sure.

Keilani Gutierrez

I can only talk about what i've done specifically for pushups here.

 

i tried staying protracted for a longer duration and it feels super wierd and unnatural. as you're descending(consciously) as Joshua said before, keep control of the movement. keep your "armpit/side of your ribcage" tight and keep that movement solid while you move down. not exactly like that, what you're doing is essentially connecting your arm to your torso and using more power to make the pushup stronger and when you ascend to the top portion of the pushup, protract and depress your scapula to what your current strength/mobility allows. 

 

this will make your protraction strong and not only make your pushups make you strong in that range of motion but also lay a foundation to move onto planche training(im just saying, if that happens to be your goal) in the event that it isn't, it still doesn't hurt to create that strength, ya know?

 

just keep it natural, yet remember to "glue" your arm to your armpit. my punches have gotten loads stronger just from that one detail( I Thank Joshua Naterman for that one in a post where they were describing scapula positions for exercises)