Stall bars you say? Why yes, I have some right here.

Started by Chisei, February 19, 2013 · 6 Replies · 3,844 Views

Chisei

So many stall bar posts lately (I think we're all pretty excited about them because they're useful yet elusive), but I'm jumping on the bandwagon: here's the set I finished just hours ago. (not embedding the photos is easier for all of us)

The details are in the image descriptions, please post questions and comments. The more stall bars the merrier!

 

Components: 

  • Two 2x6x8s for uprights
  • 64' of 1-1/4" poplar and hemlock dowels, turned into fifteen 38" bars.
  • Quarter sheet of 3/4" ACX, turned into three (but I only used two) 6"x 39" strips
  • Forty six 1-3/4" wood screws
  • Fifteen 2-1/2" exterior screws.

Cost: ~$100, I think. I got some other stuff when I bought the material (also in different trips) so I don't quite know.

 

Time: ~10 hours due to my perfectionism. 

 

Enjoyment: infinite. 

Patrick Smith

Man, I am so envious of all the tools you guys have! I suppose I'll have to make do with a circle saw, a chop saw, and a cordless drill!  :unsure:

Keilani Gutierrez
Patrick Smith said:

Man, I am so envious of all the tools you guys have! I suppose I'll have to make do with a circle saw, a chop saw, and a cordless drill!  :unsure:

karate chop the wood clean, finger poke the boards and just toss it out to your training area, it'll all fall right into place :P

 

edit: I forgot to add in throwing the nails to impale the wood to the wall.

Joshua Naterman

Patrick: That's what I used :)

 

Lesson I learned: Make SURE your 2x6x8 is completely flat when drilling! Also, I used a 4x6x8, which was absolutely overkill. I would never do that again!

 

What I probably  WILL do, at some point, is re-form my stall bars by replacing the 4x6x8 with a 2x6x8 and drilling them level.

Chisei

I definitely feel completely safe with my 2x6x8s with one inch deep holes. However I'm not totally comfortable with how much the dowels flex when my meager 140lbs hangs on it. In the future I would a) get larger diameter dowels b) get harder wood than poplar or c) make them less wide.

And yes, I'm lucky to have a father with a full shop with lots tools. But if you plan it better than I did (where the dowels actually fit in the holes) you shouldn't have much of a problem.

Patrick Smith
KeilaniG said:

karate chop the wood clean, finger poke the boards and just toss it out to your training area, it'll all fall right into place :P

HEEEYAAA!!!---WHAM! GAH!! WHAM!

 

Hojo undo training at its finest!!!  :lol:

 

Joshua Naterman said:

Patrick: That's what I used :)

 

Lesson I learned: Make SURE your 2x6x8 is completely flat when drilling! Also, I used a 4x6x8, which was absolutely overkill. I would never do that again!

 

Hahaha! I think 4x6x8 is definitely an overkill if its already attached to a wall  :facepalm:

 

My brother used to be a professional carpenter, so I will ask him to help me.  ;) My biggest concern is that the drilled holes for the dowels would end up uneven along the two 2x4x8's.

Chisei

I was playing around today trying to see what exercises I could do on them, and figure out that I can simulate a pommel horse and do arch ups, GHRs and leg lifts using a climbing crash pad on a bench and some slings to attach my feet. Super cool! Never though I'd be able to do all of those all at my house.