Hello to everyone!
First of all happy new year! :-)
I just registered myself this afternoon and I'm really excited to ask, discuss and solve problems in this forum with everybody! ![]()
I want to gain muscle mass, like a lot 20 year olds, but I want to achieve my goals only by using BWE (+ additional weight on the exercises). Now I've been reading a few articles on training, nutrition, rest and of course the impressive strength of gymnasts. Before I started with my training I tried to get as much good advice from the best people as possible. Jim from beastskills.com and Alexander Lechner (who wrote the OAC Guide on dragondoor) kindly helped me with my general questions. But now I'm not quite sure whether I'm right about a certain topic and that is: correct training to build effectively muscle mass through BWEs. Following questions occured:
1. Is it true that the most effective way to gain muscle mass with BWEs is through changing each workout and exercise type? For example HSPUs: day 1 - HSPU on rings 3x5, day 2 rest, day 3 - Hspu on the floor 4x3, day 4 rest, day 5 - bottom up HSPUs 5x3, etc. -> meaning not to follow a certain workout routine but always changing up and keep on shocking your body (and automatically force it to build muscle). That would mean constant periodization and not like most bodybuilders do, changing to routine every 4-6 months.
2. Static exercises are the best way to build muscle with BWEs -> the possibility to hold an iron cross must have a very strong (and big) biceps as a support.
If these two theories are true, how is it then possible to work for a certain exercise which is impossible to do at a certain point? For example I want to be able to do a front lever, but at this point that is not possible for me (physically). How can I work to get there? By working on other exercises or doing these exercises with assistance etc.?
And how is it possible to combine the work of static exercises with normal (that would be dynamic right?) exercises?
I must say that I'm totally aware of the fact, that the workout is only one part of the muscle gaining process. Nutrition and rest is of course a big thing, but let's assume that the other factors are "errorless" (balanced + healthy diet with enough protein; 8+ hours of rest, etc.)
I've been sticking to a certain workout routine (consisting of chins, dips, pistols, hspu, crunches+ hyperextensions) for 2-3 months and I could gain a little weight, but if there's a more effective way to workout why not do that instead? ![]()
I appreciate your answers!
Greetings from Switzerland
carnegie