Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Full Planche Push Up - Elbows Locked Out?

Paolo

ADRIANO FLORES CANO

I think you've to keep with straddle variation on PU because you're doing them right IMO but not strong enought to do them with legs together; you lose form when do them full, not reach the floor and arch the whole body, and you know that's not right. 

In any case, I'm not an expert so I may be wrong.

But...

Men, you're doing straddle planche PU and not much time ago you reach full planche... hahaha, monster! 

Slow my friend, keep doing them and finally you get there. Steady progress!

Well done Paolo.

You're getting there! Only problems I see are your hips are high and piked when you do them. If you are worried about protraction, then one cue I have that I'm not sure if you're already doing is squeezing your arms together throughout the whole movement like trying to squeeze the floor or bars together. I can do straddle planche push-ups now and I find that it is easier when using that cue and I think it helps you to protract more when ascending. Overall, that is nice progress you're making!

Do you also find that planche push-ups help a lot with your static planche strength?

Parth Rajguru

Your straddle planche push ups were done with proper form. I think you should spend more time working that variation and build some volume. You don't look ready to work full planche push ups yet. Eventually to make it more progressive, you may want to do the variation where the eccentric is done in full planche and concentric is done in straddle planche, like at 0:54. That push up variation is not perfect now, but I suspect that after more volume with straddle planche push ups, you will be ready to progress to the eccentric overload. Then you may be better able to move to full planche push ups.

Joshua Naterman

I think you need to be doing what Raja said.

I think that you need to do 1-2 slow (as slow as possible for you) full planche PU negatives. Keep doing this until you can make it take 15-30 seconds. You better verify that with a recording for yourself, because when you're working that hard time two seconds can seem like ten :)

You're doing good work, big improvements over the past few months!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

You're getting there! Only problems I see are your hips are high and piked when you do them. If you are worried about protraction, then one cue I have that I'm not sure if you're already doing is squeezing your arms together throughout the whole movement like trying to squeeze the floor or bars together. I can do straddle planche push-ups now and I find that it is easier when using that cue and I think it helps you to protract more when ascending. Overall, that is nice progress you're making!

Do you also find that planche push-ups help a lot with your static planche strength?

Do you mean going down into a semi - elbow lever and then pushing up back into the planche position? How many reps of SPPU can you do? It seems, I can't go past one repetition. Do you think just working on pseudo planche push ups will help? 

I feel like it's almost impossible to remove the pike :(

When I posted that video, I had been practicing BAS and PPPU on and off for about 6 weeks. In the video I posted back in October, I could barely hold it for ~3, but my longest hold now was ~6 seconds. I can consistently get ~5 seconds now, so I think working on BAS helped tremendously. Maybe if I worked more on BAS at the same time as SAS, my progress would be much farther, but I just set my goal to a ~10 second SP and I was able to get a ~3 FP. I've kinda been bored/unmotivated lately, so I haven't done planche training in about 2 weeks now lol.

And thanks! You should post a video on your SPPU sometime. 

Your straddle planche push ups were done with proper form. I think you should spend more time working that variation and build some volume. You don't look ready to work full planche push ups yet. Eventually to make it more progressive, you may want to do the variation where the eccentric is done in full planche and concentric is done in straddle planche, like at 0:54. That push up variation is not perfect now, but I suspect that after more volume with straddle planche push ups, you will be ready to progress to the eccentric overload. Then you may be better able to move to full planche push ups.

How would I go about building volume? I try to go for the second rep, and just can't get back up lol. More pseudo planche push ups? I will continue to do the exercise at 0:54. 

Thanks! 

Parth Rajguru

Build up volume with single reps, up to 20 single reps in a training session. Once you can accomplish that, your work capacity will increase enough to work doubles.

Yes, I mean going down to the bent arm planche position to pushing up to straight arm planche (planche push-up). You can call the bent arm planche a semi-elbow lever, but the arms are not touching the sides or stomach. The cue I was talking about is basically trying to squeeze the ground between your hands together or think or it as bringing your arms together even though they are not going to move. 

I did two consecutive straddle planche push-up before with fast tempo and one rep with slow tempo. I can sometimes do a few reps that are not connected, but still without virtually any rest after the other, I'm just not very proficient at lowering down and repeating another rep without getting out of the planche position. I just found out I can do full planche push-ups, but the form was probably not that good. I'll record and post my attempts some time.

Congrats on your new full planche hold record! Was that one of your max hold attempts in that video? I did not find planche push-ups to increase my static planche strength that much. I haven't really done much planche holds now because I was practicing planche-push-ups, so I don't really know, but I didn't really feel much stronger in the planche of the times I did holds. Believe it or not, there was one point where I can hold solid full planche, but could not do even one correct rep of adv tuck planche push-up. That was when I first started to train planche push-ups so maybe it was because I mainly lacked the neural-muscular control since I've made some pretty fast progress. 

For the pseudo planche push-ups, I suppose they can help since they are actually feet supported planche push-ups, but I'm not really a fan of those and prefer to work actual planche push-up progressions. You may want to try some if you have stagnated in your progress, it might help.

I think you need to be doing what Raja said.

I think that you need to do 1-2 slow (as slow as possible for you) full planche PU negatives. Keep doing this until you can make it take 15-30 seconds. You better verify that with a recording for yourself, because when you're working that hard time two seconds can seem like ten :)

You're doing good work, big improvements over the past few months!

Build up volume with single reps, up to 20 single reps in a training session. Once you can accomplish that, your work capacity will increase enough to work doubles.

Yes, I mean going down to the bent arm planche position to pushing up to straight arm planche (planche push-up). You can call the bent arm planche a semi-elbow lever, but the arms are not touching the sides or stomach. The cue I was talking about is basically trying to squeeze the ground between your hands together or think or it as bringing your arms together even though they are not going to move. 

I did two consecutive straddle planche push-up before with fast tempo and one rep with slow tempo. I can sometimes do a few reps that are not connected, but still without virtually any rest after the other, I'm just not very proficient at lowering down and repeating another rep without getting out of the planche position. I just found out I can do full planche push-ups, but the form was probably not that good. I'll record and post my attempts some time.

Congrats on your new full planche hold record! Was that one of your max hold attempts in that video? I did not find planche push-ups to increase my static planche strength that much. I haven't really done much planche holds now because I was practicing planche-push-ups, so I don't really know, but I didn't really feel much stronger in the planche of the times I did holds. Believe it or not, there was one point where I can hold solid full planche, but could not do even one correct rep of adv tuck planche push-up. That was when I first started to train planche push-ups so maybe it was because I mainly lacked the neural-muscular control since I've made some pretty fast progress. 

For the pseudo planche push-ups, I suppose they can help since they are actually feet supported planche push-ups, but I'm not really a fan of those and prefer to work actual planche push-up progressions. You may want to try some if you have stagnated in your progress, it might help.

What do you guys think of it now?

Any advice on fixing the pike in my back?

I've always felt that my back or core muscles were weak because I honestly NEVER do any core exercises like planks or dragon flags or front levers - I just prefer to do a couple sets of 10-20 second planche leans.

Do you think I'll be able to get full lay Erbs by the end of the month?

Alessandro Mainente

in the deepest version (the first) you are llsing the protraction in the iso portion...

to not pike your hips you need to raise your legs more BUT without use your lower back. the muscle where you have to feel tension are in the butt. This sounds me like something very strange, by from an anatomical point of view if you maintain the hollow with abs squeezed the lumbar muscles are of course relaxed and the back will be flat. if the lumbar muscles cannot raise the legs the only muscles you can use are the gluteal muscles. the fact that you cannot extend the legs can be weak muscles in the butt combined with poor hips flexor flexibility...you can summarize this situation as poor hips mobility...then consider to buy F1 and you will solve your problems

• Upvote 1

Joshua Slocum

What do you guys think of it now?

Any advice on fixing the pike in my back?

Yeah, lift your legs up more. 

I've always felt that my back or core muscles were weak because I honestly NEVER do any core exercises like planks or dragon flags or front levers - I just prefer to do a couple sets of 10-20 second planche leans.

You're capable of lifting up your legs; you do so after completing the pushup. This tells me that your planche pushup isn't quite strong enough yet for a full-lay. To build up strength in the planche position, I would focus on doing straddle planche pushups with good form, and full-lay planche holds with good form. You want to get to the point where you can do both at a reasonable volume. I would also work RLL's and other back/leg extension exercises so that it will be easier for you to get your legs in the right position. 

Do you think I'll be able to get full lay Erbs by the end of the month?

I'd focus on getting a full-lay planche pushup first. You're looking at at least a month before you're able to do one with good form.

Much better! The first one in your second video is pretty good actually. Try to straighten your body at the bottom before pushing up. I know you can because you straighten your body at the top so the bottom should be no problem.

Also, have you ever tried the cue I mentioned and how many consecutive straddle planche push-ups can you do now?

This is way out of my league, so keep my comment with a grain of salt. But according to BTGB, you may also want to consider half lay before your full lay.