This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Concerning Running And Foundation Lv1

Started by Vannux, February 6, 2013 · 12 Replies · 698 Views

Vannux

Hi I’m new to GST and to GB. I recently bought the foundation series and I really like it! I think it is a great product in its own but I was wondering if it would be okay to implement running a few times each week. I have read in a post about cardio, (https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/9328-cadio/?hl=cardio)

posted a while back that running is not negative for strength training. Does this still applies to the foundation courses?

 

Would running a few times a week mess-up the rest period of say 3 day training schedule (to little rest for the muscles)?  If that’s not the case then what kind of distance would be most beneficial to do? Short distance (2-4 kilometres) or a bit longer distance (5-10 kilometres), to give enough rest between training days?


Thanks



 

Cole Dano

Running a few times a week is AOK.

Xcel

How about running, biking and swimming 5 times a week?  I ask because I committed to doing a Half Iron Tri this summer before I knew F1 was going to be available, so even with my current list of injuries I have to continue to training for that.  Will this interfere with the rest needed for the three day F1 training cycle?  I would obviously try to space it out as much as possible and I'm sure one of the answers is it depends on my body's ability to recover, but let's just say I'm average in that aspect.  

stefanhinote
How about running, biking and swimming 5 times a week?  I ask because I committed to doing a Half Iron Tri this summer before I knew F1 was going to be available, so even with my current list of injuries I have to continue to training for that.  Will this interfere with the rest needed for the three day F1 training cycle?  I would obviously try to space it out as much as possible and I'm sure one of the answers is it depends on my body's ability to recover, but let's just say I'm average in that aspect.  

 

Definitely going to need to do some prioritizing.

FredInChina
Xcel said:

(...) even with my current list of injuries I have to continue (...) training (...) 

 

Hummm...... I could have written that as recently as 18 months ago... :wacko:

Now I know better! :)

Xcel
FredInChina said:

Hummm...... I could have written that as recently as 18 months ago... :wacko:

Now I know better! :)

Do tell more....

FredInChina

hehehe, okay, I tell you more...

I've posted a (loooong) list of self inflicting injuries some time ago on the forum...

All can be traced to four main causes:

(1) doing too much, i/e chasing several rabbits, i/e impatient, i/e compulsively dumb!

(2) attempting things I was unprepared for i/e "I can do that too, watch me!" mentality, i/e entering unrealistic "challenges" & refusing to reassess, i/e "if it doesn't work, do more of it!"

(3) ignoring pain and other messages that my body sent i/e I was the poster boy of "no pain no gain"!

 

Already at this moment, you could call me an idiot and I would have to agree with you... but there is more:

 

(4) Frequent "random acts of recklessness" like jumping over a large puddle of water while wearing leather shoes and a good suit instead of walking around it, thus severely spraining my left ankle, ruining my suit and compromising a month long business trip in the USA.

 

It is clear that "STOP and THINK" was not in my vocabulary until recently! ;)

 

Alan C. Walter said that "intelligence is the ability to predict consequences".

I did not have much of that either! :facepalm:

 

Frankly, I don't believe in "bad luck" any longer......................

 

Is that enough Xcel, or do you need more?

Xcel

It's a story that's all too familiar.  I am the king of stupid injury (or so I thought!).  Dealing with a sprained ankle right now and Plantar Fasciitis in the other foot because I was too cheap to go buy new shoes.  But it's been many other things over the years.  

 

To respond to Stefan, I do need to prioritize, but I have committed to doing this Half Iron with some close friends and I feel like backing out now would be a failure to them and myself.  I would love to scale back the training for it but it requires such a heavy amount of time.  I will just have to go easy on my F1 until I finish the Half later this summer.  But it's okay, I need to build myself back up strength wise so badly it's ridiculous.  In my first attempt at all the PE1's, I could only do the number of reps/holds in each week 1 cycle in only two of the progressions.  I have a long road ahead but it's all about the journey.

stefanhinote
Xcel said:

It's a story that's all too familiar.  I am the king of stupid injury (or so I thought!).  Dealing with a sprained ankle right now and Plantar Fasciitis in the other foot because I was too cheap to go buy new shoes.  But it's been many other things over the years.  

 

To respond to Stefan, I do need to prioritize, but I have committed to doing this Half Iron with some close friends and I feel like backing out now would be a failure to them and myself.  I would love to scale back the training for it but it requires such a heavy amount of time.  I will just have to go easy on my F1 until I finish the Half later this summer.  But it's okay, I need to build myself back up strength wise so badly it's ridiculous.  In my first attempt at all the PE1's, I could only do the number of reps/holds in each week 1 cycle in only two of the progressions.  I have a long road ahead but it's all about the journey.

When I said prioritize I wasn't being biased towards GST work. :P

Train for the triathlon, go easy on the foundation work, and once the tri is over switch the focus.

 

Good luck with the race--sounds super fun!

Cole Dano

Yes if you are planning to do the Tri, then prep for that should be your priority.

 

This far out, depending on how you are structuring your training, General Strength Training could easily be fit in.

 

Three days max. and perhaps down to two as race day nears.

 

The main trick is to manage all components of your training so as not to overtrain.

Joshua Naterman

Eating enough food, drinking enough water/salt, and getting enough sleep will be the major keys to success in this situation. And, of course, recognizing that you should probably only be doing 2-3 sets of GST.

 

OP, in your situation I would say that you may not want to do all 5 sets each training day, particularly as you get closer to your race date, and rather use them as a kind of gearing-up for your CNS before you do your main triathlon training, which would mean one set on most/all training days, with perhaps one day per week where you use multiple sets. This should be pretty quick, serve as a nice warm up, and allow you to make some reasonable progress while focusing more on the race.

 

For now, I think the 3 day template should be fine, as long as you don't push harder than you can recover from. This may mean stopping at the 4th set sometimes, for example.

Joshua Naterman

What injuries are you running around with?

Coach Sommer

Gentlemen,

 

This subforum is specific for Foundation work.  While interesting, this is not the appropriate place for an in depth discussion on tri training.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer