This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Mobility Problem

Started by kobi, February 6, 2013 · 10 Replies · 476 Views

kobi

I test myself with the first progression

 

OK my mobility is sucks compare to my strength, so I have a question what
is the best way for me to do the cycle


 

Let's say I can do sPL/PE1 as prescribe 5*15r, but I can't do the
mobility sPL/PE1>iM with perfect technique (I can't do it without lifting my
glutes) so, should I continue to do 5*15r of sPL/PE1 until my mobility will be
perfect, or should I start the cycle from week 1 for 12 weeks, or maybe move to
the next  strength progression  do sPL/PE2 and keep the mobility sPL/PE1>iM
and maybe also do the mobility sPL/PE2>iM between the sets.

 

Thanks

This is a great program



 

FredInChina

The last two paragraphs in "Getting Started" answer your question Kobi :)

Start at week one of the cycle you fail to complete week 11 requirements (Mastery) on strength and/or mobility.

kobi

Thanks FredInChina

I wonder what is the logic to perform the strength with very low intensity/volume, I don't see the connection between the mobility element (Hip) and the strength element, and how it will effect my progression or injury prevention, but I do understand I have to shift my focus to the mobility instead of strength.

divingpeanut

The purpose of the hip mobility elements in the (Straddle) Planche progression is to develop active flexibility on the hips to facilitate straddle work, which is the goal of the program.

Nic Branson

Over pursuing strength inhibits mobility. The program is designed to provide balance and longterm gains. If you were to move on in strength you could actually hinder your ability to gain mobility. Be patient and it will sort itself out. Do not feel like the time is wasted, it is not.

Joshua Slocum

I asked this same question not long ago: here's the thread if you wish to read it: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/9988-strength-in-excess-of-mobility/

 

 

Sufficient mobility is essential in preventing injuries, and it is a requirement for performing some strength exercises with the proper range of motion. The motivation behind preventing progression before mobility is mastered is twofold: first, strength training makes it difficult to build mobility; the harder your training, the harder it will be to build mobility. sPL/PE1 does not use the hips, but every sPL/PE that follows does. The second reason is that mobility is essential, and allowing people to 'skip' mobility suggests that it is not essential. If you skip ahead and start working more advanced strength, it will take you *even longer* to finally get that mobility down. 

kobi

Thanks divingpeanut and Nic Branson

that make sense

Naxels

I personally have the same problem

 

and have moved on to PE2 and stick with iM1 for this element.

however i do make an effort to do iM1 on off days too so it will progress faster (hopefully)

and will allow me to soon switch to iM2

Coach Sommer
Naxels said:

I personally have the same problem and have moved on to PE2 and stick with iM1 for this element.

however i do make an effort to do iM1 on off days too so it will progress faster (hopefully)

and will allow me to soon switch to iM2

 

I do not recommend this as it is too easy to allow mobility deficits to continue to expand when you do not face them directly.  The mental pressure of knowing that you are unable to move on to the next element until you have mastered the previous element's iM is a powerful motivater to take care of business.

 

Strength alone is not enough.  Mobility alone is not enough.  To effectively build a high level of GST, you must have both.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

mm356

I'm in the same boat as well.  However, instead of starting at week 1, which is ridiculously easy for the strength part (to the point of feeling useless), and instead of moving on to PE2 and leaving the mobility behind, I decided to start at week 9.  This way I reinforce the strength element with the higher reps and I give 4 good solid weeks to see how the mobility improves.  If at the end of this 4-week cycle the mobility hasn't improved, I'll just do it again.

kobi


 

Well I decided to start at week 1, mobility is why I bought this course,
I don't worry about  the strength, I can always do maintenance after
I finish the workoutת it only taking 20-30 min, I do it every morning (5 times a
week), I practice MMA 3 time a week, and lift weights 1-2 a week (Squat/Deadlift/OL),
and practice my handstand everyday(5-10 min),  so I don't believe I will lose my strength.



The mobility is my main goal right now all the rest is secondary.