Fingertip Planche - Finger Strength

Started by Edgaron, February 4, 2013 · 28 Replies · 16,528 Views

Joshua Slocum
Edgaron said:

Yeah, I realize that, but my wrist flexibility is horrible and all that seems to happen when I try to go further into planche leans with fingers forward is wrist pain...

 

This could be a strength issue. If your wrists lack the passive strength to support the load you're putting on them, it could cause pain. Do you feel pain in a handstand position?

 

 

Edgaron said:

Fingers at 45 degrees makes my side of the thumb get pressed down into the ground very hard, I don't think the pain is worth it. I may need to work on my thumb mobility/flexibility.

 

You might be balancing over the wrong part of your hand. If you have a lot of weight in your thumb, try shifting your weight back a little so that most of it is in your palm. 

Jon Douglas
Hari_Seldon said:

It depends on where in your training you are and what you're training for. If you're just trying to learn a planche, there's little reason to do fingers-back. For training a cross, planche with fingers back is a good preparatory exercise (provided that you've done enough preparatory work to safely to a fingers-back planche), because it puts a similar but less intense strain on the elbows.

 

It might also be slightly easier in terms of required prime-mover strength, because having your hand behind your wrist instead of in front of your wrist will slightly increase the angle between your arms and your torso.

Solid answer. Thanks for that.

 

Edit-- Trying some deeper pl leans (on palms) with hands backwards does feel more comfortable, a little more pressure on elbows but nothing out of the ordinary, certainly nothing like ring HS for eg. Will incorporate and adjust forthwith, requires a bit more attention be paid to balance!

Edgaron
Hari_Seldon said:

This could be a strength issue. If your wrists lack the passive strength to support the load you're putting on them, it could cause pain. Do you feel pain in a handstand position?

 

 

 

You might be balancing over the wrong part of your hand. If you have a lot of weight in your thumb, try shifting your weight back a little so that most of it is in your palm. 

No pain at all in handstand position.

 

I simply can't do it :( Unless I try to spread the floor apart, which is probably not something I'd want to do while trying to hold a planche.

It's probably just inflexibility of the fingers and wrist itself. I'll try to do more planking/leaning in the ''elbows rotated inwards'' position, since I feel kind of weak there and the wrist gets a stretch without even leaning forward.

B1214N
Hari_Seldon said:

It depends on where in your training you are and what you're training for. If you're just trying to learn a planche, there's little reason to do fingers-back. For training a cross, planche with fingers back is a good preparatory exercise (provided that you've done enough preparatory work to safely work a fingers-back planche), because it puts a similar but less intense strain on the elbows.

 

It might also be slightly easier in terms of required prime-mover strength, because having your hand behind your wrist instead of in front of your wrist will slightly increase the angle between your arms and your torso.

What about malteses on floor or rings? Would the elbow stress on those match or surpass the level of elbow strain of a cross?

 

I thought fingers back planches would require more prime mover strength since fingers forwards or sideways gives a stronger base of support due to the wrists acting as a cantilever even though fingers back has a slightly greater shoulder angle. I can also imagine that fingers back would be harder to balance too. Only downsides I can think of for fingers back planche is that it is very hard to press out of and it does not offer anywhere near as much wrists conditioning/strength as the other hand positions.