Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A General Guide To Nutrition

Raizen

A GENERAL GUIDE TO NUTRITION

What to eat?

Generally speaking, there are three food groups; carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. They can be further broken down into things like monounsaturated fats, and individual animo acids, but it's a lot easier to group them into the three above groups then into their individual varieties.

Each group is important and vital for maintaining proper nutrition, though you need larger amounts of foods from certain groups then you do from others. I suggest eating more protein than fat, and more carbs than protein.

For carbs, you can't go wrong with produce. In my opinion, produce should make up the largest portion of an active athelete's diet. However eating apples all the time is rather dull, and there are foods with far higher nutritional value. Consume berries often, particularly blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries. Other great fruits include pineapple, bananas, oranges, kiwi, even lemons if you're brave. This is by no means a complete list, I left plenty out. Vegetables, eaten with meat or low carb meals are great too. My favorites are carrots, brocolli, green beans, lettuce, and eggplant. Aside from produce, certain grains are also great for you. Potatoes are easy, and beans are a great source of fiber. Brown rice and classic rolled oats are easy winners.

For protein, I suggest animal meat.... for obvious reasons. Fish, especially tuna and salmon, are amazing protein sources, and also come with fish oil, which is a good form of fat. Lean meats like chicken and turkey are nice too. Red meat is ok, but I wouldnt advise eating moer than once or maybe twice a week. A great and fast form of protein consumption is drinking protein shakes, made from whey prodtein powder. Some people are afraid that whey will make them bulky like bodybuilders. Those people are silly. Whey wont make you bigger. For the record the only way to really gain significant muscle mass is by training hard AND consuming a caloric surplus (more calories than you need). I highly advise substituting out one or two of your meals daily with protein shakes, but I'll get into that later.

As for fats, you should try to split your fats evenly between saturates, monounsaturates, and polyunsaturates. It sounds complicated at first, but it really isnt. Get saturates from animal fats, which you'll no doubt be consuming when you eat meat. Flaxseed oil, sunflower seeds, and walnuts are all great sources of polyunsaturates. Macadamia nuts, pecans, almonds, and cashews all have loads of monounsaturates. Eggs are an example of a food that has an even balance of all three, pretty radd.

When to eat?

You should try your best to sonsume approximately 6 meals daily. I know I know, it sounds like overkill, just wait, I'll explain. Eating six meals a day, or one meal every three hours, helps keep your metabolism going, so you burn more calories and your body doesnt have to synthesize its own muscle as fuel. Basically take the amount of calories you're aiming to consume, and divide that number by six. That's how many calories you'll be eating per meal. Now the trick is to spread those meals out so that you're eating a meal every 3 hours. For bonus points, try to consume more of your carbs in the earlier half of the day, and your fats in the later half. Every meal should contain a solid protein source of at least 20 grams. Meals should also be either protein-fat dominant, or protein-carb dominant. Combining carbs and fats in a meal is BAD. Please dont interprit this as "I must never consume carbs and fats at the same meal, or else I'll die!" Its ok to have a little of everything, just make sure the meal is dominant in either carbs or fats, not both. If you're aiming to lose fat, then I highly suggest performing morning cardio BEFORE eating your first meal. Also, if possible, try to schedule your meal time so that one of your meals takes place right after your workout. This "post-workout" meal should probably be in shake form.

What NOT to eat?

It goes without saying that certain foods just dont have a place in any advanced athelete's diet. Anything that contains hydrogenated oils or high fructose corn syrup should be eliminated immediately. It's also advisable to eliminate most dairy products and baked goods from your diet, as they're more or less just empty calories. If you're worried about getting calcium, which you can get from green vegetables, than cottage cheese is basically the way to go. Milk pretty much sucks, forget about it. Other than that, basically watch out for anything highly processed, or artificial.

What to drink?

I'm a big fan of drinking only water. It sounds a little extreme at first, but think about it. Soda sucks for a myriad of reasons. Drinking juice is a pathetic substitute to just eating the fruit said juice was made from, plus most commerical juices have preservatives and such undesirables in them anyway. Energy drinks do slow but steady damage to your central nervous system, are filled with processed sugar amoung other things, and have ludicrous amounts of calories. Water on the other hand is cheap, has no calories, helps cleanse your body, has an extensive list of health benefits, which include fighting disease and even cancer, and it even helps lubricate joints! You really cant go wrong. Other acceptable drinks are protein shakes, which can be as simple as whey powder and water, or can include fruits, yogurt, ice, and more. Basically just blend it and chug it. And please, no ice cream... please. Fresh juices made from fresh fruits and vegetables in a juicer are also acceptable.

This was my first real attempt at making a writeup, so I apologize if the formatting is awful. If you find any grammatical errors or typos, let me know. Hope this helps you guys!

-A-

John Sapinoso
A GENERAL GUIDE TO NUTRITION

Milk pretty much sucks, forget about it.

are you kidding? it's one of the cheapest and most available post workout protein source you can get...milk does a body good, why else would all the mammals of the animal kingdom grow up on that stuff?

so long as it's not whole milk, and preferably fortified, you can't go wrong with it (unless you're lactose intolerant like me)

but i basically only drink water anywhere from 1-3 gallons a day

Milk clogs the intestine, and is loaded with traces of steroids that is injected into the cows the milk comes from. Unless you know that your milk is from free range cows, avoid it. Oranganic milk is probably acceptable, but its also more expensive. Humans shouldn’t be drinking milk later than any other mammals do, when the diapers come off. Besides, whey protein is plenty cheap, and combined with some dextrose and water, you've got a postworkout meal thats far superior to milk in nearly every way.

John Sapinoso

i personally can't drink the stuff because i'm lactose intolerant,

but it's not bad for you in the least.

It's 90% water and better for you than other stuff most people are drinking.

Also helps regulate a healthy sleeping pattern.

Milk is whey protein....and casein protein, so the rate of digestion is varied, which increases the overall length of absorption ...it's nature's protein shake.

Calcium.

Vitamin D.

If you're not lactose intolerant, there;s no reason you shouldn't be drinking it.

It's cheaper than mix and more available.

or have the best of both worlds and mix the powder into the milk.

I can tolerate it when I albsolutely must, but generally I perfer not to let milk enter my home. It's fairly safe to say that as a species we really weren't meant to drink milk post-childhood.

Alexander Kornishev

How about Zone diet. Having Crossfit background and following Zone for about 8 months I am truly convinced that for athletic performance there is nothing better than Zone.

I actually tried that diet plan some time ago, and it just wasnt for me. If it works well for you then by all means, continue with it. Some people report success on that diet, but as for myself and several of my partners, it just hasnt really worked that well for us. Thats really why the title to this writeup is A General Guide To Nutrition, because it's very generalized. It works fairly well for most people, and can be tweaked and manipulated to attain whatever it is you're looking to attain. Food is a tool, use it to build your ideal body.

-A-

Hey guys, i follow The Warrior Diet,

I believe it is the best, as i have tried many others,

Whats are your opinions on it?

Wade

I've actually considered testing Ori's diet plan; I was given a copy of that book for Christmas. After reading the book it sounds fairly logical and worth experimenting with. How has it been working for you? And how long have you practiced it?

Just from looking at the title of that book, I bet its lots of fish oil, and protein shakes that are low calorie?

Sorry if I'm thread stealing.

Sorry, just seemed like thats the way nutrition articles are heading, I've read so many about lots of fiber, fish oil and protein it's just no fun to read any health related article anymore.

I have been on the warrior diet for about a year and a half. Im 73kgs and stay between 6 and 8% body fat year round.

The best part of the diet (lifestyle) is that you get to over eat evry night. Our bodys designed to over eat, im guessing thats why there are so many overwieght people in the world, right. However, Ori's diet takes advantage of the overeating. The basic plan is undereat eat during the day( natural foods fruits, lights protein etc) and overeat at night time. Also, you cylce between high fat nights and high carb nights. if you guys havent tried cyleing btween high fat and high carbs, try it, it reals helps you get to that NEXT level . There are so many benefits about this diet but i think the best thing is to go out get the book and try it.

Warning though, for the first week or so your body will haveing a fit at you while its gets used to the undereating stage. The hunger pains will subside you will reek the benefits,

Wade

I actually already have the book and have read it, I've just yet to actually try it, mostly because the diet I currently practice is working quite well for me. Cycling is an interesting concept, but I've been a little hesitant as I dont like the idea of not knowing exactly what I'm consuming, and I dont have anyone else to 'test' the plan for me. :( I'll probably give it at least a six month experimental period sometime soon though.

• 3 months later...

Hey guys on the milk subject why dont you try raw milk.If you can get it.For the lactose intolerant people then drink raw goat milk.Its the only liquide that i know of that is also a ccomplete food.I personly drink raw goat milk all the time.Ive even went 17 days on drinking only raw goat milk no food or other drinks. With no side affects But id been cutting my food intake down before i tried it.

This is just my intake on milk.I wont drink pasturized milk i think its very harmful to you.Same with processed food i do my best to stay away from that crap.

Graham Hayes

This is good, mostly because for those who don't know about nutrition it will be a massive step in the right direction. Allthough I would never agree with substituting a meal for a protien shake, your meals should always be food (no, really!). And separating your carbs and fats into different meals sounds like something I've read in a womens magazine (err or someone told me they read that...). You suggest 6 meals a day to keep the metabolism topped up...except you're getting inadaquate carbs from half you're meals, and inadaquate fats from the other half. For general health it may be ok, but not for performance. You would have to top up your carbs proir to a workout or you'll be spinning you wheels.

George Launchbury

Hi Graham,

...except you're getting inadaquate carbs from half you're meals, and inadaquate fats from the other half. For general health it may be ok, but not for performance. You would have to top up your carbs proir to a workout or you'll be spinning you wheels.

Surely the idea of carbing up for (and after) training is slightly out-dated? To quote Ido (hope that's OK Ido?) from another thread (here):

I. There are essential fats, essential Amino Acids (Protein). There is no such thing as essential Carbohydrates. Living without protein and/or fat is impossible in the long run, living with no carbs is an historical fact.

J. Untill you go through the initial metabolic shift, dont come complaining. Things will get better, push through!

Once I have taken the time to 'fat adapt' I have found I have just as much energy as when eating lots of carbs. I also have good recovery. IMHO after switching fuels, glycogen replenishment should not be an issue doing strength/skill/power work, but might slow down your recovery if you do a lot of hard MetCon, hard long distance cardio, etc ...where you really deplete your stores. Recovery is about a lot more than getting enough energy back to workout again.

Regards,

George.

Graham Hayes

George, I don't know if you're familiar with Loren Cordain's 'Paleo Diet for Athletes' (although by athletes he means LSD cardio), it has quite a lot of useful information whatever you're into. In that book he gives quite detailed advice on nutrition before and after training, on which my above statements are based. To be clearer I don't mean a plate of pasta, if your glycogen stores were replenished by previous meals you don't need a lot to maintain them before a workout.

Ido is correct, and the metabolic shift he describes is very desirable for all. Cutting out carbs will save peoples lives! However it is a misconception to believe that carbs are unessential for high performance, you don't need to keep your local baker in business, but you do need some. I didn't mention after workouts, however after a workout eating/drinking carbs will result in insulin production, insulin means things can get into your cells. More specifically protien into your muscles so they repair quicker. If I remember rightly you are more sensitive to this right after a workout.

Eating without carbs, will result in a hormonal imbalance at every meal. Protien produces glucagon(sp?) and carbs produce insulin (i'm sure I must be teaching you to suck eggs here) keeping these two hormones in balance is critical for the best recovery.

Sorry to hijack your thread Raizen.

George Launchbury

Yes, I half-read it and then put it down. I didn't agree with it in principle. Note that the book was co-written with Joe Friel, a USA triathlon and cycling elite coach. From the back of the book: ...Cordain and Friel show how runners, cyclists, swimmers, triathletes and endurance athletes can make simple changes to their diets for big results.

Gymnastics, strength training, weight-lifting etc. do not require this additional carbohydrate to cheat the body's natural recovery ...since they are not repeated long-duration high-exertion exercise. In my opinion this kind of thing is bucking the body's systems to allow for an unnatural mode of exercise - repeated long/hard effort endurance. The reason that he needed to write a seperate book for (endurance) athletes is because it's not supported by a Paleo diet, and therefore required a 'hack'.

As I recall, protein elevates both insulin and glucagon, carbs raise only insulin and fat has no effect on either?

As Robb Wolf stated further up that thread "Ido has stunning levels of performance" ...further evidence that one might assume that as far as Gymnastic performance goes, adding carbs is not necessary. You will get all the carbs you need from eating plenty of veggies, and some fruit. Need more calories? ...eat more good fats.

Sorry if that is a little garbled, and possibly unclear - but as I said, I am up against it at work at the moment, and don't have too much time to re-read/re-write and expand on my initial rambling.

Regards,

George.

Edward Smith

Yes George!!! I think Ido's comment of 'There's no such thing as an essential carb' is one of the most important diet facts/factors I've heard.

I dont think my thread has much relavence anymore actually, now that there are dietary experts like Ido and Robb on the forum, I just wrote something up quick because at the time the nutrition section was empty. When I refered to seperating the two I didnt mean literally separating them utterly, just dividing them a little. Something I learned a long time ago from the John Berardi website, because at the time all I had to go on for nutritional advice was bodybuilding related info. Now we have actual performance athletes and nutritionist that deal with optimal eating, so really this thread is useless, unless you treat it as just what it's name suggests it is, a generalized guide to nutrition. Not too difficult to follow, but also not optimal with its results. After converting for several months now, I agree that eating pure or almost pure paleo is definately the way to go.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I did the warrior diet for the past 2.5 years. Been good to me. I recently decided to shift gears and drop about 20lbs (if I can manage) so I am now on the anabolic solution diet/lifestyle. It's based around 60%fat calories 35-40% protein calories and 0-5% carbs 5 out of 7 days of the week. The other 2 days are carb loading days to stop ketosis (like what happens in the atkins diet). Check it out. It is much talked about.

Warrior diet worked great thought. I used beans as my only carbs for quite a while. Scratch that, I ate fruit during the day too.

-J

p.s. goat milk > cow's milk

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.