Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

L-sit form

Ian Legrow

Hey guys! I have recently begun L-sit work. I had to go back to the beginning and do it right thats why i am just recently starting on the legs straight version. However, i would like to know how my form is. is my back too rounded? Becasue i really have been trying to correct that but i don't know how. But if its not Great!

bJYHkSeGy60

Edward Fraser

Comparing with the pic in BTGB looks ok to me, if I remember correctly it's ok to have some rounding of the lower back.

I don't know if you saw it already but Slizzardman recently made a post about optimal shoulder position in different elements which may be helpful too.

Joshua Naterman

For regular L that's ok, looks a little closer to advanced L at the hips. For advanced L you will need the shoulders back a good bit more which is pretty tough. You'll feel that in the triceps going up into the shoulder, where the long head attaches to the scapula.

Anyhow, seems ok. As your hold approaches 45-60s you may want to start working on the shoulder position. Will make things a good bit harder.

Thank you! yes see that was confusing me. I never realized how difficult the l-sit with palms flat was and trying to retract the shoulder blades in the advanced is going to be very difficult. Thank you!

Joshua Naterman
Thank you! yes see that was confusing me. I never realized how difficult the l-sit with palms flat was and trying to retract the shoulder blades in the advanced is going to be very difficult. Thank you!

It really is ridiculously hard... I have actually started back with a bent leg L sit in advanced hip position to build these muscles :) Being heavy makes some things much more difficult lol! This way I can feel the right muscles working.

Does an advanced L-sit have a very slight lean backwards with the arms or are they supposed to be completely vertical and are you supposed to fully retract the shoulder blades to the max?

That's some pretty good form there Ian.

Coach Sommer
Does an advanced L-sit have a very slight lean backwards with the arms or are they supposed to be completely vertical?

You should be striving for vertical.

... are you supposed to fully retract the shoulder blades to the max?

No. Only retract the shoulder blades to the point where the chest is tall and the back is straight and flat.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Joshua Naterman

It will feel like a backwards lean at first, but that's just because it is so much work to maintain a vertical torso when your center of gravity is in front of your hands!

The legs cause CoG to be a few inches forward of the center of hand support, and this requires the posterior shoulder girdle and lats to really do a ton of work.

It helps to be by a mirror at first.

B1214n: thank you so much for all your encouragment.

Coach: thank you for the clarification

Josh: Wonderful Idea! i never thought of that! I was able to do an "advanced l-sit" four or five months ago, but realized i had compromized my form on all of the l-sit variations. SO i went back to the beginning. WHen i get to the advanced l-sit i will definitely do what you are suggesting by starting at the bent leg variation. Great idea!