Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Injury of .a different kind

Tarun Suri

Just wanted to inform people in case they havent already tried to use caution when using rings on a door mounted pullup bar.

I'm typing with 1 hand right now since the other has a bag of ice on my mouth to stop the swealing and bleeding.

Ouch! Sorry to hear that.

I have to admit those things scare me for our uses on GB.

Let us know what happened when you get a chance.

I've never been so swollen in my life. I've never seen the middle of my lip ballon up so large. I look like i've been hit by a car. I didn't go to school today. I look really really horrible. I'm having trouble eating. My 2 front teeth are really sensitive. I have that's just temporary nerve damage (due to shock) and nothing more.

I'm really amazing. I've iced this bad boy for like 3 hours last night and about 3 hours since this morning. Took 2x2 capsules of advil since the injury. The swelling is barely reduced.

I was doing a low german hang. My face was about a foot from the ground. If it was a full german hang, my feet would have braced some of the fall.

The bar, which is supported on a narrow "awning" that sticks out around the doorframe. Check the door to your room so see what I mean.

Justin Rawley

I got disenchanted with those things when I was about eight. While trying to 'dismount' a la German hang type movement (i.e. backward roll with feet through the arms, then drop off the bar) the whole thing came down (door frame intact, just the bar). Maybe there's a pattern here; perhaps these pull up bars don't like that kind of weight distribution. In fact, it might be the rolling movement itself that dislodges the bar. In any case, I wouldn't recommend further experimentation.

Duely noted!

As an update, today is the first day since the accident that I was able to drink water normally without a straw or anything. There is no more pain, except for the sensitive teeth in front due to the fall. I expect, the swelling and scabs to disappear within 3 days. I should be able to brush my teeth normally by then.

Now that's done, I should probably get an appointment with the dentist. I have to get this sensitive tooth checked out. It's been getting less and less sensitive as the days go on, but I'd still like to get it checked out. Also, on that tooth, I got this weird silver "lightning" that grew during the first few days following my injury. It just doesn't want to come off. I feel like Harry Potter, the boy who lived :lol:

Joshua Naterman
Just wanted to inform people in case they havent already tried to use caution when using rings on a door mounted pullup bar.

I'm typing with 1 hand right now since the other has a bag of ice on my mouth to stop the swealing and bleeding.

You made my day hahahaha! I hope you're healed up by now!

Glad to hear its getting better.

We shouldn't recommend those type of pull up bars to anyone again, bad news!

We have the handbalancing workshop this weekend with Mikeal aka Handbalancer. He was doing some strap hanging from an eeybolt in our ceiling, and actually managed to unscrew it enough that it came loose and he fell. Thankfully nothing happened but, it pays to check your equipment from time to time!

This just made my hangover so much better :lol: Of course I'm sorry to hear, but glad that it seems like no permanent damage has been done. Maybe I should tell my dad to remove the one in my room back in Qatar. Wouldn't want him to get hurt on it.

anyways for your pleasure:

lyx4XGf1iyE

I wish you didn't tell me that Brady. I'll looking to install my rings in my basement on my ceiling. I was thinking about buying a ceiling mounted pullup bar and hanging it off there. Now I'm not so sure :x

Kyle Courville

:mrgreen: I have a similar story. When I first started doing Coach's exercises I got an iron gym. It was great. I was a skeptic; after about a week I thought the thing was perfect. That is until I started doing front lever rows on the curved part of it the second week I got it. I was at the top of the row, the height of a door is about 6 feet, when the whole thing falls off the doorframe. I just layd thereon the floor somehow still managing to laugh at myself despite having the wind knocked out of me. For some reason I still do gymnastic style exercises on it, including inverted chins :lol: . I, however, will never be caught holding the rounded part.

Joshua Naterman
I wish you didn't tell me that Brady. I'll looking to install my rings in my basement on my ceiling. I was thinking about buying a ceiling mounted pullup bar and hanging it off there. Now I'm not so sure :x

Keep in mind that there was a lot of twisting going on under load. Regular two handed ring work won't cause anything like that to happen with eye lags.

I just googled eye lags to see what you meant and more confused than ever. Sorry, I've never been much a handyman.

I assume you want me to drill that in my ceiling, how do the rings play in with that? I'm sure this is a very n00b question. If you can direct me to some links instead of explaining, I'd still appreciate it.

Joshua Naterman

search for eye lag bolts or screws. Bolts are for putting all the way through a hole and securing with a washer and a nut. They are typically more secure and have much higher load ratings. Lag screws are ok as long as you screw them into the ceiling. You must remember that they will only be good enough for strength work and should not be used for plyo pull ups or anything like that.

For making something at home that will safely survive a kipping workout you will want some 2x6's or bigger. You would lag screw those into the ceiling joists with a bunch of lag screws across several joists. Then you would want to use swing hardware and mount that on with approved fasteners, possibly large bolts. A structural engineer can help you evaluate what would really need to be done for a given room, but you can get some fairly good advice online in the right forums. I'd search for structural engineering forums if you are looking for the best advice.

Random, sorry to scare you, but maybe it was a good thing.

Slizz was right, Mikael was spinning in such a way that the bolt unscrewed. That is nothing you have to worry about at all.

However if you aren't confident with your building skills i would suggest you just hire a contractor to come and do it for you. Done right you will have a very secure system that will last a lifetime.

I would also recommend that if you get the ceiling mounted pull up bar, if you can make a second station for the rings so you have both available. This is for two reasons, one sometimes it is good to have both for a given workout. More importantly by having the rings directly mounted to the ceiling you will have more working room. With a regular height ceiling you need all the length you can get, so mounting to the pull up bar effectively lowers the ceiling by a foot or two.

RH did you manage to get any photo's of it? I missed out on two opportunities when one of these bars fell on my nose whilst I was pulling it into me, and a really good one when I dropped down from a HS, going shins first into my cornered bed frame. For that I earned a 4x1cm, and a 3x1cm scar, plus a couple of lessons taught (no hs's around hard obstacles being the most obvious). Yours sounds far better to share though. If you've got it, flaunt it :wink:

This is the reason I bought a perfect pull up, not an iron gym, to have in my doorway.

Plus, to me, I've never trusted the stability of that thing lining door frames.