Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Old School Strength

Guest Ido Portal

Guest Ido Portal

1u0RVFpRNKU

I am inspired. A very diverse display of strength, over many years and many domains into old age... (domains... I shouldnt use that word...)

Includes quite a lot of gymnastics strength feats like various handstands, HSPUs, standing ab-rolls, L-pull ups, dragon flags, etc...

Enjoy,

Ido.

Yeeeaaahh!

I just called him. I'm going to visit the "Athletenclub Hamburg" on wednesday :D

He will train young kids in the olympic lifts and he said he might have some time to talk afterwards. This is great!

Thanks for posting Ido :mrgreen: I'm inspired, too. And I will be even more on wednesday!

Here is what Mister Johann Martin told us to do yesterday:

1. Various upperbody dynamic stretches, arm circles and light KB swings for warmup

2. Kettlebells

a) KB snatches (girevoy sport-style)

b) Double KB jerks (girevoy sport-style)

c) single KB jerks (girevoy sport-style)

d) heavy 2-arm swings (hard-style)

e) 1-arm military press

3. Jump into box - standing

like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/user/portaldo#p/u/45/NXpMIsOvmQA

4. Basic gymnastic moves

a) Handstand

b) dive forward roll

c) backward roll, pressing out strong, trying to get to handstand position like

in this video at 4:45

About Johann Martin:

He grew up in small village in russia and started lifting kettlebells at the age of 12. He was so fascinated by a documentary about russian olympic lifters that he built his own kettlebells and just started lifting without any guidance.

About his system:

Mister Martin mixes kettlbells, olympic lifting and gymnastics to produce powerful athletes. The goal is not only to train olympic lifters but various types of athletes (swimmers, boxers, wrestlers etc) to make them stronger, more explosive and improving their stamina. He doesn't use gymnastics rings and I'm not sure to what extend they train gymnastics at all. He says that's his secret. The video actually seems to be a promo-video to get people interested so they come and pay for workshops to learn about his system.

This is crazy: For 10 euro (=13 USD) you can enter the Athletenclub Hamburg and train 3 times a week under the eyes and instruction of a man who produced several national champions and who himself trained hard and smart enough to inspire even high-class athletes like Ido Portal with his strength at the age of 63. He holds seminars for 100-150 euro per person.