Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stall/Stahl/Contortion Bar

jamesters

I want a stall bar but the cheapest I could find it online was around $350! I'd probably be willing to spend up to $200, but not more than that. Therefore, I'm thinking of trying to make my own.

So, does anyone have advice for making a stall bar, how much space between the handles, how many handles it should have, how tall it should be, etcetera?

Otherwise, does anyone know where I can buy a stall bar for cheap online?

Nick Van Bockxmeer

theres no reason you can't make a set for under $100.

have a look at this link: http://gymnasticsstrength.blogspot.com/ ... -bars.html

here is how I made mine, I will give my measurements in metric units and if you can't understand it that is your fault for having an outdated system

-the supports are structural pine with dimensions 45mm x 90mm x 2800mm. these were actually quite cheap I think maybe only like $10 each. This was sanded.

-the rungs are 32mm diameter dowel at lengths of 800mm I think it was about $25 for 3.6m (bought two lengths), once again sanded down a bit. This was actually made out of durian, simply because the only other option was tasmanian oak at about 3x price.

-the rungs are spaced 300mm apart. In hindsight I would suggest 200mm or 250mm apart if you have enough dowel for it. The rungs were cut with a handsaw

-the top rung is at about 2400 - 2450mm. This is such that when I am in full hang with pointed toes, my feet are about 5mm off the ground.

-you will need an appropriately sized wood bore or cutter to drill holes through the supports. These have to match up on each side obviously, the centre of the holes should be within a mm of two. If they are out you will get residual stress and deformation.

-in my case the holes were slightly too small so the ends of the dowel were sanded down by hand to fit in tightly.

-the rungs were glued using PVA wood glue. The rungs did not actually go all the way through the supports, so we cut little caps off the left over dowel and glued them in the holes at the end to give it a nice finish

-because I installed them outside it was given a finish with a resin/varnish to protect a bit from weathering

-it was installed against a brick wall. The supports were steel bracketed to the wall at the top, middle and bottom on each side. To do this, holes were drilled into the brick and the supports. Dynabolts were used to between the bracket and the wall and just regular steel bolts were used between the bracket and the supports.

- thats pretty much it, total cost was a little over $100AU but it could have been less. Basically because we had to buy the wood glue, varnish and a few other tools to do it.

I will try and post a picture of them soon

Thanks so much for such detail and help! I'm in the process of moving right now, once I get settled in I'll start working on this!