This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 081223

Started by Coach Sommer, December 23, 2008 · 17 Replies · 7,687 Views

Coach Sommer

WOD

Embedded PL (1-2 reps) + MPPr variation (3-5 reps)

Perform 5 giant sets

chauinc

What are Embedded PLs? Can you provide a page number or the full name of the acronym?

braindx
chauinc said:
What are Embedded PLs? Can you provide a page number or the full name of the acronym?

PL is planche. Embedded is in the programming section. Refer to yesterdays thread for a discussion.

Aushion Chatman

What a time for my shoulder to be acting up...I CANNOT WAIT to start hitting these WODs in earnest.

matthew.percussion

Hey Coach,

My buddies and I have a slight dilemma. We are working on the Chest Roll to headstand MPPr but are having great difficulty in actually rolling all the way up. We normally just get our bodies to a little over parallel. Any suggestions on getting the rest of the way up?

Sorry if this is too vague, couldn't really explain it any better.

Chris H Laing

Could the GB wods be integrated with CF wods or the CA wods, or would it be to much?

Blairbob

They'd probably be more suitable with the PM Wod's than the CF Wods. I'm thinking I could use the DrillsandSkills Wods as GPP metcon after the strength or go through their athletes log to find something suitable if it conflicted or make something up myself ala Ross Enamait or my own ingenuiety.

Blairbob

Matthew, if you focus on a big heel drive and perhaps tuck your body that might allow you to hit the HeS. Or start in a really tall seal position or push off your forefoot a bit.

Ok, hmm that didn't help much and it wasn't that difficult but I have an uber flexible back so I can really heel drive. It's harder not to roll completely over ( first time I ever tried just going to HeS ). I'm glad I saw the chest roll to HeS because I miss chest roll to HS.

If you can do them downhill somewhat or with a spot. If you lay on something like a panel mat and put your hands on the floor, you should be able to heel drive to HeS. A low bench may suffice but may wobble too much when you swing your body. A decline bench would be pretty easy.

A solid sand filled kicking bag on it's side might work well. Were I to fold up my futon in half that would work well but my futon is a pain in the butt to drag out to the living room. Laying on a footstool might work as well.

Chris H Laing
Blairbob said:
They'd probably be more suitable with the PM Wod's than the CF Wods.

Why? I think they'd go great with either.

Blairbob

I was just thinking that PM has more of a focus on building power with some strength, more in line with gymnastics compared to CF where the focus tends to be on work capacity/endurance. PM still does mini WOD's for metcon but we're not gonna see anything in to the 20-45m times, which is totally unneccessary for a gymnast. Gymnasts don't really need to be able to row 5k or do Murph or many of the Hero workouts.

It's fun, but just my opinion. Really if you wanted to do a GB WOD, then do CFEndurance because you were a triathloner, biker, runner; go for it. I also like Oly lifting, so it could be that bias. Dunno

Mike, the shrink.

PM=Performance Men, Catalyst Athletics. A CF spinoff/breakaway that focuses on Olympic Lifting.

http://performancemenu.com

Liam
Blairbob said:
They'd probably be more suitable with the PM Wod's than the CF Wods. I'm thinking I could use the DrillsandSkills Wods as GPP metcon after the strength or go through their athletes log to find something suitable if it conflicted or make something up myself ala Ross Enamait or my own ingenuiety.

This is the sort of set up I was thinking of to use alongside my grappling training, but I wasn't going to perform the GPP/conditioning work straight after the strength training- do you think this is optimal?

theshrink
Blairbob said:
I was just thinking that PM has more of a focus on building power with some strength, more in line with gymnastics compared to CF where the focus tends to be on work capacity/endurance. PM still does mini WOD's for metcon but we're not gonna see anything in to the 20-45m times, which is totally unneccessary for a gymnast. Gymnasts don't really need to be able to row 5k or do Murph or many of the Hero workouts.

It's fun, but just my opinion. Really if you wanted to do a GB WOD, then do CFEndurance because you were a triathloner, biker, runner; go for it. I also like Oly lifting, so it could be that bias. Dunno

Mike, the shrink.

PM=Performance Men, Catalyst Athletics. A CF spinoff/breakaway that focuses on Olympic Lifting.

http://performancemenu.com

Great, thank you!

Chris H Laing
Blairbob said:
I also like Oly lifting, so it could be that bias. Dunno

I'm also really interested in oly lifting, and am currently working on my ohs and fs strength and my technique. But the plan is, when I'm strong enough to do the cf wods as rx'd, to go back to doing full mainpage cf, with the first day of every 3 day cycle and oly day plus gymnastics stuff, and the CA wod in the winter plus gymnastic stuff.

Basically I was just wondering if anyone thought the workload would be too high to do cf or ca with gb effectively.

JaredLLL

3sets, 5reps

Couldn't do the MPPr so I did negatives of the motion the slowest i could.

I just can't seem to get enough momentum to get more then a few inches off the ground.

Blairbob

A lot of people do the heavy lifts, oly lifts, or some gymnastics before the CF WOD.

Liam
Blairbob said:
A lot of people do the heavy lifts, oly lifts, or some gymnastics before the CF WOD.

But unless I am reading it wrong does the PM WOD info not say to leave four hours between the strength work and the metcon?

On days for which there are two distinct workouts, e.g. a strength/Oly workout and a metCon, the two can be performed at different times of the day. Ideally separate the sessions by a minimum of 4 hours.

This is how I have split my training in the past. Or is it saying that if you do split them, it should be by 4 hours or more, but that you can do them back to back?

Chris H Laing
Liam said:

But unless I am reading it wrong does the PM WOD info not say to leave four hours between the strength work and the metcon?

I think its the optimum way to do it, but not required. Lotsa people do hybrids with strength and metcon in the same session.

gymrob

Coach,

Many thanks for the replies in this thread. I just have two more questions and relate to the WOD's in the sense of progression.

Firstly, in the book in one part it says to wait until the number of sets can be consistently performed throughout the period of adaptation before moving on to the next progression and in a part before it says once you can perform more than 3-5 reps before moving on. Do you pick a number of reps for example 2 sets of 3 then move to 3 sets of 3 the next cycle then move to a new variation or do you like to move along reps? What I am really asking is do you have your athletes spend a single 8-12 week cycle on a variation before moving on or more normally?

Secondly, when progressing to a weighted exercise such a weighted muscle ups how much weight would you recommend using or is the only thing that matters is that you can perform 3-5 reps and percieve overload because I think it would be very easy to add a lot of weight when it is simply too much.

Thankyou.