This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Questions About Foundation1

Started by Jonathan Mead, February 2, 2013 · 3 Replies · 397 Views

Jonathan Mead

Hey guys,

 

I'm really loving Foundation 1 so far. It's making me aware of some big holes in my training that I need to fix.

 

I have a few questions though:

 

1. Should I continue doing my FSP training for FL, BL, Pl, Lsit, Straddle Lsit, and MSH?

 

2. Is all the joint preparation I need to do covered in F1, or should I continue doing the prehab routines I was doing before?

 

3. Should I continue doing ring work, as I've been making a lot of progress on my ring routine and would have to give that all up.

 

4. How should skill work be best integrated into the training? Tucks, cartwheels, circles, handsprings, etc.

 

5. Is it okay for me to mix and match different training based on my current ability? For instance, if I've mastered one level in a certain exercise group, but I haven't mastered that same level in another, is it okay for me to be training them at different levels?

 

Thanks for your help. I want to be as effective as possible with this training!

Cole Dano

This quote from Coach Sommer along with a dose of common sense should help answer your questions.

 

In general you can keep doing much of what you have been, just make Foundation One priority one in your training.

 

Most everyone will find the levels staggering at some point, it's ok. However for if you want to have a GB Rank it will be from where you are able to do all seven, regardless of how staggered you are in the program.

 

I am not comfortable with the term "skip ahead".  There should be no "skipping" of elements, mastery of each and every element should be demonstrated.  It is not necessarily necessary to perform a full 12 week training cycle for each element.  

 

- Probably the easiest way to accomplish this is to simply attempt mastery of the next element and integrated mobility each workout day.

 

- If you were nearly able to demonstrate mastery, you could perform a short three week training cycle by beginning at week 9 of the programming.

 

- If your attempt to demonstrate mastery was only moderately successful, you could perform an 8 week training cycle by beginning at week 5 of the programming.

 

- And of course if the mastery was completely beyond you, you should perform an entire 12 week cycle and begin at week 1. 

 

- If you wish to perform other skill work that day in addition to your mastery work, that is fine.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Joshua Slocum
jonathanmead said:

Hey guys,

 

I'm really loving Foundation 1 so far. It's making me aware of some big holes in my training that I need to fix.

 

I have a few questions though:

 

1. Should I continue doing my FSP training for FL, BL, Pl, Lsit, Straddle Lsit, and MSH?

There's no reason you can't do this. Just make sure to give priority to the foundation work so you can consistently progress.

 

jonathanmead said:

2. Is all the joint preparation I need to do covered in F1, or should I continue doing the prehab routines I was doing before?

It's hard to say. I'm not an expert on prehab and I don't know what you're currently working. 

 

jonathanmead said:

3. Should I continue doing ring work, as I've been making a lot of progress on my ring routine and would have to give that all up.

Again, you certainly can. Just make sure you're getting your foundation work done.

jonathanmead said:

4. How should skill work be best integrated into the training? Tucks, cartwheels, circles, handsprings, etc.

As always, it should come before strength training. 

 

jonathanmead said:

5. Is it okay for me to mix and match different training based on my current ability? For instance, if I've mastered one level in a certain exercise group, but I haven't mastered that same level in another, is it okay for me to be training them at different levels?

Yes it is ok.

Jonathan Mead

You guys are awesome. This helps a ton. I'm going to spend some time today working on my training plans and finding the best way to make F1 the priority and still not lose momentum on the stuff I was working on before.

 

As others have said, I'm sure that fixing all the holes in my foundation will ultimately lead to greater gains as opposed to continue trying to progress without working on these fundamentals.