This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Spl/pe1>Im (Swivel Hips) Question

Started by thecolin, February 2, 2013 · 5 Replies · 459 Views

thecolin

I'm wondering about the glute position for this move. Under the description it says to keep the glutes (plural) on the ground, but in the video it looks like his hips lift up on one side. Though it's difficult to see with the baggy shorts.

 

Do both glutes need to stay firmly planted as the knees touch the floor for mastery? Or can one side raise up to some degree?

 

Assuming that both glutes need to stay firmly on the ground, working on this move, what should be the focus? Should I put my knees to the ground and push my butt to the ground? Or Keep my butt to the ground and push my knees down?

Doddibot

I was going to ask a similar question about this too.

Exactly what level of hip joint internal rotation and external rotation counts as 'mastery' of this move?  (As in, how much can my pelvis tilt and how close to the ground should my knees get).

My internal rotation is pretty limited, so that results in my pelvis rotating quite a lot if I'm going to get my knee fairly close the ground.  I can't see how anyone (any adult at least) without a nearly pathological amount of femoral anteversion could ever internally rotate to actually put their knee on the ground while keeping the pelvis perfectly level.

This actually pertains to a lot of the mobility elements (e.g. SLS/PE1>iM, how far much ankle abduction/adduction do I need to have mastered this? or in MN/PE4>iM, when I get to it, how much hip flexion and trunk flexion will I need to get mastery?)

David Birchall

I can't really see very well but actually - one of his glute muscles does come off the floor I think?  While the other one stays on the floor.  Does "glutes" refer to the gluteus maximus  as a whole?

 

Wikipedia:

 

The gluteus maximus (also known as glutæus maximus or, collectively with the gluteus medius and minimus, the glutes)

 

I think by glutes he means collectively the gluteus medius and minimus rather than each cheek left and right.  

 

Therefore the ass as a whole is "the glutes," made up of the minimus, medius and maximus and as long as one side is still on the floor then "the glutes" would technically still be on the floor.

 

The instruction mean to stress that we should not lie on our thy at any point thus raising "the glutes" off the floor.

 

Or perhaps I am wrong?  Could do with some clarification.

FredInChina
dbirchall said:

Could do with some clarification.

 

Keep your butt on the floor!

Sorted! :)

thecolin

Thinking about it logically, while I'm sure there are some people that can internally rotate their legs that far I think that's a very high standard for level 1 mobility. Then the subsequent mobility moves are all about external rotation, so having to keep your whole ass flat on the floor doesn't even really fit with the progression.

 

I'm going to go ahead and assume that you can lift up on one side, if anyone knows otherwise for certain, please correct me. :-)

Cole Dano

To quote BlairBob 'Don't over-think it'