I'm getting shoulder grinding/popping while during the ascent and descent of this movement. is there a way to properly work on adressing this problem to be able to progress with this?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Issues Performing Mn/pe1>Im (Shoulder Noise)
Started by Keilani Gutierrez, February 2, 2013 · 25 Replies · 1,027 Views
Me too, it's a weird sensation, but it seems to be improving now i've done a few sessions with this movement.
really? I've only done the workout once, today should be my second time. i'll check progress once 10 workouts have been done. how much weight are you doing it with?
Is there any sharp pain? If yes then stop.
No pain just noise is not a bad thing, just something you need to be patient and work through. Scale the weight, use slightly less range of motion and move slower.
As your improve increase ROM first, then weight. Tempo is nice and controlled. Noises are very comming for most people who have not done this before.
I initially found I had a lot of popping/creaking/what-have-you in several mobility elements. However, after just a week of working them, the noise has significantly decreased or gone away completely in all those exercises.
As Nic said, stop if there's sharp pains, otherwise keep going carefully forward.
no pain of any kind is present, so i will continue as prescribed
loving the windmills. as a parenthesis, how do you properly execute the way he turns his hands on the video? it looks like he rotates his arm inwards and ends in a position to how you would hold your arms during a manna hold. is my observation correct?
The movement is called inlocation. Essentially, you rotate your arm in the shoulder socket to allow it to continue moving backwards. It's similar to the motion you would instinctively do if you swung your arms backwards in a circle.
thanks, Hari! and everyone else whose commented ![]()
I have had the same problem with the noises in my shoulders and such in mobility work, but im on the second week and there is little grinding/noise now and it feels allot more comfortable. I must admit on some of the moves I had to watch the video a few times just to get the movement and body position right in order to get the proper ROM.
KeilaniG, i'm using 10lbs at the minute and the creaking is definitely subsiding, hope things go well for you ![]()
Had the same issue in my left shoulder. Following Nic's suggestion in this thread regards initiating by pushing hips back, I found the movement much easier on the right side, but still struggled on the left. Felt really uncoordinated.
I included a few sets of partial reps in my warm-up for workout B today - practicing pushing hip back on the weighted side, and only bending forward enough to complete the rotation of the shoulder while turning to look up at weight. I found the actual iM sets much easier, and the popping/twanging from my shoulder has pretty much gone.
Cheers,
George.
Hi there. I had the same thing. My ROM was good and the mastery level was really easy for me. Do you guys think that i can go to next stege if there still was alot popping but no pain? My ROM in second stage is really poor
so i start at week 1 if you think that i can go there.
PS. My left eye is almost blind so i dare you to try this one with your eye closed from the side you have the weight ![]()
Haha i just tried it with one eye closed, looking up all i could see was my nose! ![]()
I guess if there's no pain and the ROM is as good as in the video demonstration then you can start the next stage after mastery, and keep pe1>iM in your warm up. I could be wrong though.
Not the easyest way huh
thanks for your reply. If i get a second yes before tuesday i do just that ![]()
I would second peekay, and say that if you tested AOK for PE1 and PE1>iM you can move on. Don't worry about the initial ROM in PE2>iM as that is the reason you are spending 12 weeks working on it!
Cheers,
George.
I will say, that I am very happy to see windmills in the program because I believe they are one of the things that we should do on a regular basis.
This is a movement that you should definitely keep in your routine, and do not be afraid to add quite a lot of weight over time. Up to a certain point, more weight actually helps.
I used to do these with 100 lbs no problem, and old-timers from the 1800's and early 1900's did this with 200+ lbs (after quite a while of progressive resistance, of course!) .
Always stick with weight you can control, but don't be afraid to make things heavier over time, when/if it feels appropriate.
I'm having some trouble doing this one actually, not sure if I'm doing it right.
It's only been two workouts so far though so I hope to improve my technique every week.
Does this gradual increase of weight apply to other mobility movements like Xiaopeng forward and backward etc?
peekay said:Does this gradual increase of weight apply to other mobility movements like Xiaopeng forward and backward etc?
I imagine that increasing weight on Xiaopeng would be very taxing on the shoulder and elbow! The primary difference being with windmills the weight stays above the shoulder throughout.
True. I do wonder though that if over time and done sensibly it might be beneficial.
But windmills with 100+lbs? That seems superhuman right now!
For GST purposes it would be counter productive to perform this iM with such loads. Master the basic mobility of this element and then move on.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Hey Coach, so I know these are named after Li Xiaopeng. Is it because you first saw Li Xiaopeng do this drill or is it because this drill mimics one of Li Xiaopeng's pirouetting skills on PB? I think Li Xiaopeng only has an arm hang skill named after him on PB though so I don't think it's the latter case.
Edit: Woops, I mean for the Xiaopeng forward and backwards not the drill in the topic title. I thought this topic was about the Xiaopeng drill when I read one of the posts here that mentioned it.
- It is because I first saw this exercise performed by Xiaopeng.
- Interesting tidbit for you, Xiaopeng is now married to the daughter of a good friend of mine who was himself a former World Champion on the pommel horse. Imagine how talented their kids are going to be!!!
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Before anybody goes nuts here, the windmill done here is for mobility not max weight as Coach has said. If you were actually using max loads the form would be slightly different then what is seen here. This was also used primarily to help build the bent press and two hands anyhow. The technique for that style of lift is beyond the scope of this discussion. Use an appropriate weight and do not attempt to max out. Focus on the mobility.
Thanks for the tidbit Coach. I know who that good friend of yours is then. He is Li Xiaoping and his daughter the one who is married to Xiaopeng is Angel Li. I knew about this a while ago from reading stuff online. Never knew you were friends with Li Xiaoping though. It's so cool that you're friends with many former gymnastics champions.