The weight (or range of weights) that should be used for MN/PE1>iM isn't specified. It looks like a 10 or 15 pound weight - is that the correct range?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Suggested Weight For Mn/pe1>Im?
Started by Cannister, February 2, 2013 · 8 Replies · 472 Views
That sounds right. Go lighter if you can't manage the movement without your shoulder clicking. (I need to go fairly light because I just can't control my shoulder properly in this movement.)
I get shoulder clicking, even without the dumbbell. thoughts?
5 lbs was enough for me. If in doubt, starting with lighter is always better than starting with too heavy in my opinion. Work your way up, just like the progressions. If you find you "master" 5 lbs, move up!
I wonder if Coach or one of the moderators would mind telling us the exact value of the weight of the dumbell. I used 8 lbs, and it was difficult enough for me, but I'd like to know what I should build up to.
I am aware that Coach wrote on the xiaopeng exercise that 5-10 lbs is sufficient, but that dumbbell looks more like 15-20 to me.
The athlete in the video is exceptionally strong and mobile so there's not much point asking what weight he's using. Unless of course you are just as strong and just as mobile. If so, congrats!
These are mobility exercises not strength exercises so go as light as you need to in order to complete the movements with perfect control and working through your complete range of motion..
Also make sure it's pain free. There will likely be popping and crunching sounds but it should never be painful.
- Most of my intermediate level athletes will use from 20-25lbs. My Elite level athletes usually use from 30-35lbs. Formerly I personally used 45lbs.
- However, that being said, do not strain to maximize the weight you are using. The weights listed above are comfortable weights for those particular athletes. You should use however little or much weight allows you to best "feel" the rotation of the shoulder while maintaining good stability.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Coach beat me here. Focus on the mobility portion not the weight. With my background I can use a fair amount more then I would ever suggest.
Coach Sommer said:- Most of my intermediate level athletes will use from 20-25lbs. My Elite level athletes usually use from 30-35lbs. Formerly I personally used 45lbs.
- However, that being said, do not strain to maximize the weight you are using. The weights listed above are comfortable weights for those particular athletes. You should use however little or much weight allows you to best "feel" the rotation of the shoulder while maintaining good stability.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
thank you for clarifying that because i was also going to ask how to periodically increase the weight. my question though is that I notice that your athlete does a downward rotation of the shoulder to end with the weight above his shoulder with his arm rotated inwards. my shoulder does a popping/grinding noise(thought not painful) while doing it on my left shoulder.(which is funny because the one i seperated was my right shoulder and i have no issue with it.) what thoughts do you have on this, coach? continue with the exercise despite the sound? I can scale the weight from 5lbs to 10 lbs. just want to be sure.