This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Level Tests

Started by Joshua Slocum, February 1, 2013 · 12 Replies · 551 Views

Joshua Slocum

Will level tests (for forum rank, certification, etc) require a video demonstrating mastery of all elements in a progression, or just the level 0.5/level1 elements?

 

For example, if I want to demonstrate straddle planche level 1 mastery, do I need to post videos of a master-level set for all 6 PE/IM exercises, or just sPL/PE6 and sPL/PE6>IM? 

Coach Sommer

The level test will require mastery of all of the preceding elements as well as the final element for that fundamental listed on the strength chart.  Only the final element required for each fundamental's level has been listed on the chart for the sake of clarity and brevity.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Joshua Slocum
Coach Sommer said:

The level test will require mastery of all of the preceding elements as well as the final element for that fundamental listed on the strength chart.  Only the final element required for each fundamental's level has been listed on the chart for the sake of clarity and brevity.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

 

So, just to confirm: in order to achieve level 1 rank, one will need to show 42 videos demonstrating a master-level set; one for each of the preparatory exercise/integrated mobility pairs? 

Coach Sommer

The rankings proceed in half level increments.  So you would first achieve Level .5, then 1, then 1.5 etc.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Nic Branson

I believe you're asking if you need to submit mastery vids for the ONLY the .5 and the 1 levels or if you need a video for EVERY movement in the series?

Joshua Slocum
Nic Branson said:

I believe you're asking if you need to submit mastery vids for the ONLY the .5 and the 1 levels or if you need a video for EVERY movement in the series?

Yes, precisely. 

Coach Sommer

Ah, I understand now.  No, you will only submit videos pertinent to the level which you are currently testing for.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

MvdB

I have another question re: level tests.

 

I expect to progress through the various preparatory elements for the seven basic GST exercises at different rates for each exercise, depending on my strong and weak links. This means that I will not reach the required mastery levels for each exercise simultaneously. How is this reflected in the testing procedure? I see two scenarios:

 

1) A Foundation 1 Mastery assessment takes place when the Foundation 1 Mastery requirements are met for all seven basic GST exercises. This implies that we may already be well on our way in progressing through Foundation 2 or higher for some of the basic GST exercises at the time of testing for Foundation 1.

 

2) A Foundation 1 Mastery assessment takes place for each basic exercise separately. This implies that we can have several Mastery levels going on at the same time.

 

Just curious, is all!

Finnbar
Michaël van den Berg said:

I have another question re: level tests.

 

I expect to progress through the various preparatory elements for the seven basic GST exercises at different rates for each exercise, depending on my strong and weak links. This means that I will not reach the required mastery levels for each exercise simultaneously. How is this reflected in the testing procedure?

As best I understand the levels are designed so that people do not neglect any 1 part of their training for any reason (save serious physical impairment) so the levels have to be met for all 7 foundation elements (including associated mobility).

 

So to get to level 1 you'll need to demonstrate all of the 7 elements to level 1 mastery. This means working on keeping you weak area under control, which can never be a bad this IMO.

MvdB

I understand that the course is designed to address weak links. That's exactly what made me wonder regarding the testing procedure. I'm sure that I will progress much quicker on some exercises than on others, so I was merely wondering if we have to wait and test for all seven exercises at once, or not.

 

For the record: I don't care when the assessment takes place, because as you say - we need to master everything, anyway. I'm just curious about the procedure.

Finnbar
Michaël van den Berg said:

I understand that the course is designed to address weak links. That's exactly what made me wonder regarding the testing procedure. I'm sure that I will progress much quicker on some exercises than on others, so I was merely wondering if we have to wait and test for all seven exercises at once, or not.

 

For the record: I don't care when the assessment takes place, because as you say - we need to master everything, anyway. I'm just curious about the procedure.

Cool I hear you now. I think it'll be testing all 7 together to keep things simple. But you could still keep the stronger progressions several stages ahead even if you haven't been tested for that level yet.

Nic Branson

Testing will be done when all seven elements are ready for testing at a given level. In your own training you might be working at slightly different rates but to achieve a desired level your video will need to include all 7 elements and their mobility. We will NOT be testing individual elements.

MvdB

Okay, cool! Works for me (and it's the way I expected it to be).