This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Advice On How To Integrate Foundation One Schedule For Bjj Athlete

Started by RatioFitness, February 1, 2013 · 9 Replies · 520 Views

RatioFitness

I would like to follow the foundation series for my S&C, plus I like gymnastics in itself as another art form to pursue. BJJ is my main art form though, so it takes precedence in my schedule over gymnastics. 

 

I'm not a young college kid with both the time and recovery to do 2 per day workouts and such. I can handle and have the time for one workout per day, and I like one day of rest per week. 

 

This puts me at 4x week of BJJ, with 2 days left over for Foundation One. 

 

My idea on scheduling are this:

 

(1) Do the 3 day per week schedule but lag behind. For example, I will do the first 2 workouts as normal and then workout 3, week 1 of the foundation schedule will be my first workout of the 2nd week, and do on. 

 

Pro's: Plenty of recovery. 

 

Con's: Elements are trained too infrequent. 

 

(2) Condense the 4 day cycle into 2 days, so every element will be done on each training day. Mon/Tues will be condensed into one day, and Thurs/Fri into one day. Either I could do all the prescribed sets, or I could reduce the volume of sets some. 

 

Pro's: Elements are trained with a better frequency.

 

Con's: Unless I reduce the volume of the sets, some weeks I will be doing 35 sets in a single workout, which may be too taxing.

 

Any thoughts? 

Joshua Slocum

The prescribed exercises don't take that long. Why not do the 3x/week schedule, and on the middle day perform the GST immediately before/after BJJ, or in the morning as a 'wake-me-up'? 

RatioFitness
jfslocum said:

The prescribed exercises don't take that long. Why not do the 3x/week schedule, and on the middle day perform the GST immediately before/after BJJ, or in the morning as a 'wake-me-up'? 

Hmmm, in week 2, day 2, there are 20 sets of exercises. How long would this take, you think? 

Joshua Slocum

It shouldn't take too long.  I'd just start doing it, and keep track of how long each exercise is taking. 

RatioFitness

It will probably be a week before I can do a lot of this stuff. Injured my rib in BJJ and we all know how long ribs take to heal. I can't really do anything involving abs right now, which is a lot. :(

Keilani Gutierrez

I'm currently doing the 5 day a week program starting from Square One. I just finished my first workout today(FL, sPl, HBP & RC) and I finished so energized and properly warmed up to undertake anything in Kung fu(which usually goes Kuens(forms), self defense practice(usually 30-45min), fighting combos(usually 30min) and then finish off fighting(10 rounds 3 minutes each with 1 minutre rest)

 

and I'm training at Purple Belt Level(Red and Black follow)

 

depending on how strenuous your training is, you'll definetely improve exponentially, especially since the program embarks on focusing on Bent Arm Strength, Straight Arm Strength AND Leg Strength. 

 

depending on how your recovery is, you'll be fine to distinguish whichever program pattern to follow. then as the programs get more complex, you can adjust them to your BJJ schedule.

 

#options

Finnbar
RatioFitness said:

Hmmm, in week 2, day 2, there are 20 sets of exercises. How long would this take, you think? 

 

I've just finished the first two days and they took me 18 minutes and 11 minutes respectively.

They will get a bit longer as you go but also I took a lot of time looking up exercises as it was my first time through.

 

I don't imagine the workout get any much more than 30-40 minutes tops

Miguel Collins

I'm in the same boat  41 one child, full time job, while training BJJ  3+ times a week.

I been on a 7 day a week schedule, with Foundation/HS workouts M-Sat with Front split on Sundays ( call it an active rest day ).  The workouts are shorter when they are spread throughout the week.  The M/W/F programming was killing me.

I've had to make more time in my day by doing my GB workouts  @4:30am before work.  This lets me recover before I train BJJ at lunch or after work.

It's a grind, and it cuts down on evening family time since I go to sleep at 9:45 every day, but its been working so far.

 

Kelby O'Shea

Hi all,

I'd like to echo what Joshua has said - I do a Foundation workout every day. It says 30 minutes but really even when I add in the daily limber and some crab and ape I can get it done in about 15 minutes. I usually study the workout movements over my morning coffee and then get into it - meaning I can usually keep pace with the workout video. Maybe this will change as the progressions get more challenging but for now I'm finding that it is very easy to make time every morning and my body thanks me.

 I've been doing BJJ for almost 6 months now and adding GST has completely saved me. I used to get really bad stiffness through my thoracic spine bad enough that coughing was really painful from 2 - 3 BJJ sessions per week.

I've completed the Fundamentals course and I've been doing Foundation for almost a week. I can only speak from experience, but I feel like doing a little every day is great.

Kevin Easton

Here is my $.02.

I am in my early 30's

Full Time job with shifts

Two kids

BJJ Purple Belt

Everyone has shit to do.  My priorities are Family > Work > Family Recreation > Everything else

The health of my family is #1, that's not just physical health.

Form there I have to work to pay the bills.

I have kids that have their own sports, I have other family things that come up, they are next in priority.  I had a lot of opportunities growing up now it's my turn to pass that onto my kids.

Finally comes in my BJJ and other training.  My BJJ training is limited by my other life commitments and the BJJ class schedule. 

For GB I am currently doing Foundations 1.  I could train 7 days a week now even with my hectic schedule.  Why?  Because I can train at home with very little equipment.  I have no drive time.  In under an hour I can be done.  And no matter how busy I am, I always have an hour.  I just need to prioritize training over my CNN addiction :D

Other than my abdominals taking an ass kicking in Foundations I really don't have that lingering muscle fatigue from F1.  That means I don't see any problem training F1 before/after BJJ training.

With BJJ training I can be a bit exhausted, but again it's not a muscle fatigue thing.

I say find time to train when you can.  Trial and Error is the only way to figure out what works for you.