This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Question About F1 Integrated Mobility For Straddle Planche

Started by phrak, January 31, 2013 · 21 Replies · 1,221 Views

phrak

I do not have access to a pommel horse, and I honestly can't think of a way to do the mobility here in a sane way with commercial gym equipment. Ideas or substitutes?

kasanya

I was wondering the same thing. I train at home, so I'm going to try those moves out on a long waist-high IKEA cube bookcase that I've got in the living room. Failing that, maybe the island in the kitchen. LOL!

Keilani Gutierrez

probably PM'ing one of the moderators or Coach himself would be a favorable thing to do. I'm trying to eye up some subs at home...probably gonna have to use a wood Cabinet or a table somehow. 

stefanhinote

I've yet to purchase Foundation One, so I'm just spit balling, but would a folding ironing board work? (Not sure how much pressure is going to be exerted, or how).

Cole Dano

A bench will do just fine for those.

Craig

I just do them off a picnic table in the park.  Also off the platforms on playground equipment works fine.  Any sturdy table/bench should be good enough.

phrak
Cole Dano said:

A bench will do just fine for those.

 

Most of the benches in my gym are low enough to where I cannot pull my bent legs in for something like the sPL/PE2>iM, not to mention the RLL series later in the SL work (SL/PE5 and SL/PE6).

 

I also just noticed similar problems with MN/PE5 and MN/PE6 mobility work - the need to walk up stall bars doesn't work for me

phrak
stefanhinote said:

I've yet to purchase Foundation One, so I'm just spit balling, but would a folding ironing board work? (Not sure how much pressure is going to be exerted, or how).

 

If it was heavy duty, I'm sure it would. That's a pretty solid idea, but works for smaller guys only

stefanhinote
phrak said:

If it was heavy duty, I'm sure it would. That's a pretty solid idea, but works for smaller guys only

 

phrak said:

If it was heavy duty, I'm sure it would. That's a pretty solid idea, but works for smaller guys only

It was worth a shot. :P

Cole Dano
phrak said:

Most of the benches in my gym are low enough to where I cannot pull my bent legs in for something like the sPL/PE2>iM, not to mention the RLL series later in the SL work (SL/PE5 and SL/PE6).

 

I also just noticed similar problems with MN/PE5 and MN/PE6 mobility work - the need to walk up stall bars doesn't work for me

I have a very low bench and it's fine for me for the sPL>iM elements, keep the knees a little spread. I used my pelvic swing for the RLLs, but it's too late for me to describe that. I am sure that there will be threads popping up on how to various elements with ersatz equipment.  

Jon Douglas

I was wondering the same thing. I train at home, so I'm going to try those moves out on a long waist-high IKEA cube bookcase that I've got in the living room. Failing that, maybe the island in the kitchen. LOL!

 

 

 

SOMETHING FUNNY ABOUT USING KITCHEN ISLAND FOR THIS? :P

seiyafan

Need something with a cushion or else it will hurt. 

KingJR

no GHR equipment at the gym?

Nic Branson

Some people train at home and not in a gym so that means getting creative.

Michael Traynor

My Bed worked pretty nicely for sPL/PE6>iM tonight. But a gym bench whilst holding onto some heavy dumbells (i'm the bench is light) could work.

Rio Yeti

Standard bench for most, + appleboxes for RLL.

 

Which are just standard wooden boxes, by the way. More than sturdy enough, I just checked. I only lose a couple of inches ROM at the easy end of it with my rogue bench and a standard film industry applebox on its side. I'm 5'9". Any shorter and no worries at all, if you're taller add some planks/smaller boxes, whatever. Do a wobble/weight test.

johnfewell
phrak said:

Most of the benches in my gym are low enough to where I cannot pull my bent legs in for something like the sPL/PE2>iM, not to mention the RLL series later in the SL work (SL/PE5 and SL/PE6).

 

I also just noticed similar problems with MN/PE5 and MN/PE6 mobility work - the need to walk up stall bars doesn't work for me

I'm 5'9" and the bench at the gym worked for me for the sPL mobility work. Maybe height is a factor?

Bissen

I've got the front cooler of our old FIAT tractor  :lol:

divingpeanut

I used to do straddle reverse hypers while doing a elbow lever on a small, sturdy table. It is more taxing than bracing yourself on the pommel horse, but I believe it is just as effective at targetting the back/hips.

You need to be able to do elbow levers, though.

karimoo

I'm using a folding chair.  Just drop myself through the gap between the back rest and the seat, lay my chest over the seat and hold the legs for support.  Working great so far for the straddle mobility.

whaleysa

A cheap, useful "tall bench" can be built for very little in about 30 minutes (see images).

 

I used:

wood screws

drill

saw

a few 2x4's ( in the US that is a  2 inch thick, 4 inch wide piece of lumber, often 8 feet in length).

I am probably the worst carpenter in the US, but I "stole" this design from one that Ross Enamait (rosstraining.com) uses for a multitude of exercieses on his site.

 

It will suffice for everything I see in F1 and the "design" could be  modified to work better on the end (move the supports so less likely to get in the way of your quads, etc.).

 

I'm also able to do arch-ups, etc. by laying perpendicular to the bench and hooking my feet under my homemade stall bars (last image below).  
It wouldn't be difficult to find something else to hook feet on if don't/can't make stallbars.

 

I hold it in place with sandbags (you can see part of a blue one in the pics).

 

Also, I weigh 230 lbs and often lay on top of an 80 lb sandbag, so it is fairly sturdy.

Placing the bag inline with the table makes it feel like I'm on a soft pommel horse, too.

 

http://codestrut.com/gb/bench_side.jpg

http://codestrut.com/gb/bench_front.jpg

http://codestrut.com/gb/bench_front_top.jpg

http://codestrut.com/gb/stallbars.jpg

FredInChina

Very nice sturdy bench here Whaleysa :)

I like the stall bars too BTW.