Longer Strap With Rings

Started by AlphaKratos, January 31, 2013 · 4 Replies · 2,208 Views

AlphaKratos

I was wondering about strap length for rings. I noticed that a shorter strap makes things much easier, a longer strap makes many exercises harder. So, would training with a longer than regulation setup confer greater benefits, or would the longer setup simply adapt your body to different movements, so regulation setup would not be comfortable? I hope that I worded that clearly...

Daniel Burnham

Longer makes strength holds harder so they will feel easier on shorter straps. Long rings are commonly used in gymnastic gyms because of this.

Joshua Slocum

Beyond a certain length the increases in difficulty become less and less. I don't think you'd notice any increase in difficulty from using longer than regulation length straps. 

AlphaKratos

Alright,just wanted to make sure the extra length wouldn't cause major issues with my form. Since my options are a bit limited, I will continue using the longer straps until I can get an actual regulation setup.

Joshua Slocum

The only major difference you should notice is that if you are in a handstand or support, and the rings are swinging, it will be harder to balance. But your goal is to keep the rings from swinging anyways, so it shouldn't be a big deal.