Removing Arch From Hespu

Started by Jonathan Mead, January 30, 2013 · 5 Replies · 2,339 Views

Jonathan Mead

Hey guys, I'm trying really hard to perfect my form on my handstands and HSPU/HeSPU. But I'm having a really hard time removing the arch from my back through the motion.

 

No matter how much I try to stay hollow when I press up my body respond my arching to compensate.

 

I figure I'll get stronger with this movement over time and the arching will lessen, but are there any other exercises I can supplement to help with this? I'm doing HBH twice a week.

 

 

Thanks for your help! You guys are awesome.

Cody

There's really no way to remove your arch while doing back to wall HeSPU. The only way it could happen is by either getting closer to the wall, or by taking your legs off the wall. You definitely don't want to get closer to the wall though, that would be bad for form.

Do stomach to wall HeSPU, and try to go forward more and bring your elbows back, don't let them flare out so much.

FredInChina

Nice abdominal breathing :)

stefanhinote

Stomach to wall HS, work on getting wrists closer and closer to wall until they finally touch. Getting them to eventually touch the wall may take weeks, months, or even longer. *shrugs* Either way, this will straighten your form.

Jonathan Mead
Cody said:

There's really no way to remove your arch while doing back to wall HeSPU. The only way it could happen is by either getting closer to the wall, or by taking your legs off the wall. You definitely don't want to get closer to the wall though, that would be bad for form.

Do stomach to wall HeSPU, and try to go forward more and bring your elbows back, don't let them flare out so much.

Thanks Cody, this is helpful. I didn't know you could really do stomach to wall HeSPU because I thought my elbow would hit the wall. I guess I've never really tried though, so I shouldn't have assumed that!

 

I'll do some more work on it and let you all know what happens.

 

Thanks for the help everyone. Much appreciated.

Klaudius Petrulis
jonathanmead said:

Thanks Cody, this is helpful. I didn't know you could really do stomach to wall HeSPU because I thought my elbow would hit the wall. I guess I've never really tried though, so I shouldn't have assumed that!

 

I'll do some more work on it and let you all know what happens.

 

Thanks for the help everyone. Much appreciated.

I'd definitely like to see another video of you doing this stomach to wall.  Keep up the good work!