Training With Pf (Plantar Fasciitis)

Started by Xcel, January 29, 2013 · 6 Replies · 2,309 Views

Xcel

I recently redeveloped a case of PF in my left foot while training for a Half-Iron Triathlon.  I was attempting to incorporate BtGB into my training as my strength/core training.  While you don't spend a lot of time on your feet doing this, I was just wondering if any other members suffer from the same problem and how they are dealing with it, if it hinders their gymnastic training in anyway, etc.  Just looking for some thoughts.

Joshua Naterman

You need to look up SMR for PF and apply that, if you haven't done so already.

 

How to treat this condition at home is pretty well laid out in many places on the internet, so I think that a Google search and 3 or 4 results will be all that you need to successfully get your foot back into working condition.

 

Look for ice cup massage PWO, lots of people like that, and golf ball or lacrosse ball rolling. You can use PVC for what you find as well, or anything else that rolls and won't break under your foot. Pressure is always what feels right to you.

jl5555

Slizz, what do you think of any connection between poor hip flexibility and foot issues such as PF?

Joshua Naterman

If you have any pronation (typically caused by ankle and/or hip flexibility issues, most commonly hip in my experience) then you are at a vastly increased risk of PF.

 

Soleus stretches and the figure four hip stretches are the two best "bang for your buck" stretches to combat this.

jl5555

Thank you.  My girlfriend was having issues and, of course, was prescribed all variety of insert to "ease" the pain.  I insisted that she at least try doing some stretches to open up the hips.  I could never grasp how an insert alone would actually fix a problem like that.  She hasn't complained in a while so I suppose all is ok.

 

BTW, how is the infrared setup going for you?

Joshua Naterman

Just make sure to check her shoes for an outer heel, inner toe area wear pattern. If that is still happening, she's still moving incorrectly. If her shoes already have this pattern she'll need new shoes immediately, along with specific work to change the motion pattern.

 

Inserts typically don't change the motion pattern, but it is possible for this to happen.

 

My IR is good, haven't used it much lately. Been busy with school again, and using a proper shroud is difficult. I haven't constructed that correctly yet.

 

I did get an IR hearing pad, but lent it to a friend who strained her gastrocs, so I haven't gotten a chance to use it yet.

Shaf

I have acquired PF several times. I have never found anything to significantly speed recovery from it. Taking 3 months or more away from activities that cause it seems to be the most reliable cure.

What I've tried

-SMR

-ice

-DMSO

-Strasbourg sock

-calf stretches

-hamstring and glute stretches

-heat

-vibration

I did not try inserts, injections, or ultrasound

If you cannot give up the activity, then be prepared to suffer.