While I was reading the book today I ran into this picture:

Notice the hyperextension of his left elbow, is it safe to put bodyweight on this kind of degree of hyperextension for movement like ring support and planche?
Started by seiyafan, January 26, 2013 · 5 Replies · 3,462 Views
While I was reading the book today I ran into this picture:

Notice the hyperextension of his left elbow, is it safe to put bodyweight on this kind of degree of hyperextension for movement like ring support and planche?
Yes. If you are properly prepared.
I can extend my elbows just as far and to this day I have never had any elbow pain, even when doing crosses.
There are top level gymnasts with even more hyperextension who apparantely don't seem to have problems either. Google Maxim Deviatovsky. His hyperextension is sick!
The young man in that photo is living proof. I believe he is one of the few athletes in the world who can perform a high manna.
I saw Deviatovsky's ring routine, his IC almost looks like a W cross.
Andreas said:I can extend my elbows just as far and to this day I have never had any elbow pain, even when doing crosses.
There are top level gymnasts with even more hyperextension who apparantely don't seem to have problems either. Google Maxim Deviatovsky. His hyperextension is sick!
It is absolutely safe if they are properly prepared like what Daniel Burnham said. I have similar amount of elbow extension as the guy in the photo. Hyperextension isn't a disadvantage in straight arm strength unless it is extreme.