Static Hold Testing

Started by matthew.percussion, December 19, 2008 · 23 Replies · 4,830 Views

matthew.percussion

I got to thinking earlier. I found a great way to keep myself motivated and at the same time provide a good way for others to critique my form.

I am going to 'test' myself on a different static hold every week. When I do this I am going to get video of every set for the static hold, all 60s. Then post it for critiqueing and to show myself some progress. After I have gone through all six static holds, planche, L-Sit, straddle L, manna, front lever, and back lever, I will start the six week process over again.

This week I tested on my planche.

Planche Test 1

If you have any advice please feel free to let me know.

Also, I strongly encourage you all to take part in this testing with me!

_________________________________________

Christmas L-Sit Test

L-Sit Test 1

-Matthew

sasquatch

That was good, I'm hoping I'll be able to hold my hips level with my shoulders soon too.

I've found that I can do a manna type of thing if I rest my forarms on the bars and them bring my torso legs up and over like a manna, maybe that's something good to practice holds for?

Blairbob

That's also in the L5 PB routine. Ya might call it upper arm cast position or basket.

matthew.percussion

L-Sit Test One (Christmas)

Test

For my L-Sit test I did 6sets of 10seconds. I threw in an extra because I count too fast.

Blairbob

Point your toes! You'll feel your hips hurt more.

matthew.percussion
Blairbob said:
Point your toes! You'll feel your hips hurt more.

Haha, Just what I need. Sometimes I remember to point them...

sasquatch

Hey Matthew,

I was wondering, when you fist started training your tuck-planche, could you get your hips level with your shoulders?

I'm asking because I have been training straight-arm frogstands forever, and I still am never able to get my hips level with my shoulders, I can get them close, but not quite there.

I'm thinking maybe I should be doing them the best I can do, for sets of 60 secounds, and eventually I'll get my hips higher.

IvanPS
sasquatch said:
Hey Matthew,

I was wondering, when you fist started training your tuck-planche, could you get your hips level with your shoulders?

I'm asking because I have been training straight-arm frogstands forever, and I still am never able to get my hips level with my shoulders, I can get them close, but not quite there.

I'm thinking maybe I should be doing them the best I can do, for sets of 60 secounds, and eventually I'll get my hips higher.

I'll take the freedom to answer this too:

I had this problem of low hips but I think it's just a matter of training the tuck planche enough. Right after I was able to do a 60s bent arm frog stand I went to the tuck planche. The first time I tried I couldn't even get my knees off the ground. But I sorta just kept trying to lift me and soon was able at least to be completely off the ground but with my hips lower. I just continued to practice that striving to get my hips higher and in a month or two = tuck planche. Also I think it's important to lean forward a bit more and I had to change my hand positioning to do this.

So I'd say just practice the tuck planche striving to get your hips higher and do other exercises that will help with strength.

matthew.percussion

IvanPS is right. In fact I have old videos on my youtube page when I've tried a tuck planche and utterly failed. I think that I built the strength to actually do them through exercises other than the planche though. Just overall conditioning, any pressing exercise really.

sasquatch

Thank you guys for the reply. I'll tart training tuck planches.

Mark Weaver

If I remember right, you're over 6', right? When I first started, I could hold the frog stand just fine. I started on the tuck planche, and thought I was making great progress until I realized that my hips weren't level with my shoulders. I started paying attention and realized I could only hold the correct position for about 3 seconds. I stuck with it, and got up to a max hold of 30 seconds. It seemed like I wasn't making any progress, and then all the sudden my max hold times jumped significantly.

mark

sasquatch
mark said:
If I remember right, you're over 6', right? When I first started, I could hold the frog stand just fine. I started on the tuck planche, and thought I was making great progress until I realized that my hips weren't level with my shoulders. I started paying attention and realized I could only hold the correct position for about 3 seconds. I stuck with it, and got up to a max hold of 30 seconds. It seemed like I wasn't making any progress, and then all the sudden my max hold times jumped significantly.

mark

Yea, I'm 6-4 and a half.

Do you guys do your 60 secound planche sets everday?

Valentin

I wont troll your post...just wanted to say WICKED!. Keep it up and i look forward to clocking in your progress. Looks awesome so awesome i am do a planche and a straddle press to HS to celebrate it.

Thank you, and keep up the hard work.

matthew.percussion

Haha, thank you Valentin. I've been procrastinating on my manna video though... DOMS... Maybe I'll do it today.

sasquatch

Sorry Matthew, I didn't mean to troll your post.

Keep up the good work!

matthew.percussion

It's all good. I enjoy others input. Along with any side conversation that comes with it. =]

matthew.percussion

4iv88GSKYw8

Um... yea.

Valentin

Cool.. how hard do you find this? Look forward to seeing your progress in like a year on this skill

matthew.percussion

About like an L-Sit.

I really need to try pushing my hips forward more, I'm just not feeling to good. I'm taking some cold medicine, it's making me really sleepy and lethargic...

Coach Sommer

Matthew,

Excellent progress. For future refinement I would like to see your back flatter, your shoulders pulled back and the chest higher and not concave, and your feet a little lower. Currently your feet appear to be just slightly above your knees. Overall though, nice work.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

matthew.percussion

Thanks for the input coach. I'll try that next time. It will be awhile before I post another video though. My phone(that I use for videos) broke a couple of nights ago.

Thanks again.

matthew.percussion

I got a new camera. I'll be posting my second tests soon.

Sadly, I don't think there will be much improvement as I have been neglecting my training.

Here's my wake up call.

Valentin

Hi

if it was easy to have the mental toughness and perseverance of a champion athlete we would all be champions haha.

Sadly its all to easy to just say..oh shit i am go out tonight and make up my training tomorrow..

Keep it up bro..stay focused...keep you mind on the prize..