I'm looking for alternatives when the weather is not good and can't use the outdoors bar. In my local gym there isn't a bar, so I'm using the one on the squat rack, but I don't like to keep it busy for 30-45min and keep the guys waiting to do their squats. So will this door bars be safe for doing FL, BL, GH, the front & back pulls and similar gymnastics moves? At my local store the only one available is the Iron Gym one. I do plan to buy those precious rings, so this will be just a temporary solution.
Are Those Doorframe Pullup Bars Safe/secure For Lever Work?
Started by tcorgat, January 21, 2013 · 8 Replies · 12,473 Views
In my opinion, no. Because they rely on a conterlevered system, swinging could result in the rear support falling off the frame. It might be ok, but I would be nervous.
Is there a reason you don't just buy a set of rings now?
I live in Europe (in Macedonia) so with the shipping and paying at the border customs (they do charge almost everything) it will cost me more money than I could afford right now.
Unless you're doing swings of any kind, you should be okay. Forces are hardly different from a simple pullup during the other movements.
While on holiday in the states recently I picked one up. The one one I got had a little clip that you could put into the top of the moulding which keeps the device from accidentally sliding off the edge. This really upped my confidence in the device since we have had a couple of reports from members of them slipping off.
If I were to use it in a semi permanent location, I would consider finding some way to prevent it from slipping off accidentally.
This is some old and thus more 'juvenile' footage of me doing a lever on my perfect pull up bar (the one that you just raise onto the door frame and it supports itself) . I've only ever fallen while suspended on it once and that was because I more or less jumped into a lever. So, no, I wouldn't personally suggest these for levers. Probably not even for pull ups.
Use a bolted chiming bar, or rings or something is my two cents.
1/2 front pulls are no issue, require a tuck under the bar to back lever though...
Edit;
I've done front, back pulls, pullups up to OAC, weighted with 15kg (started to worry about doorframe above that), front pulls, inverted curls, FL rows on this without an issue. Keep the screws tight, put some foam or towel between bars and side of door/frame.
But yeah, rings.
I weigh 140lbs/63.5kgs, and I've done weighted chins with 65lbs/29.5kgs, and FL/BL work on mine with no issues.
I certainly wouldn't jump on to it, or swing however.
If you do go that route I'd inspect the trim around the doorway, and make sure you don't see any cracks or splitting.
Okay, thanks a lot for the responses.