Back Lever And V-Sit

Started by aiken54, January 20, 2013 · 2 Replies · 1,824 Views

aiken54

During swim season, I don't have the time or energy to do all I want to do. I am a sprint freestyler, so that is primarily anterior deltoid work. I could feel some imbalances developing, with too much anterior deltoid power. Since I pride myself on never injuring my shoulder, I went out on fixing this. Through V-sit/manna work and back lever training, all my shoulder discomfort is gone. Has anyone else encountered something like this?

 

What are some form tips that you guys commonly see that I should look out for when training V-sit and back lever so that I can maintain shoulder balance and strength?

Keilani Gutierrez

if you pride yourself in never hurting your shoulder, which is what the collective goal here is, my first question, have you done bicep conditioning prior to back lever? for that matter, how is your grip when you do a back lever? if it's palm facing down, which looks bad ass and also(from what i've gathered from observing it's a pretty good grip to use when you start a chin up dead hang and do a 360 pull. if it isnt palm facing down, then....i really am not the person to be talking about it, since im not on back levers yet. 

 

for the V-sits, from what notes i've gathered, if you can L-sit for 30 seconds, Straddle L for 30 seconds and Middle Split Holds for 30 seconds, you can start taking V-sits seriously. ever since i started working L-sits seriously, i noticed that I could raise my V with greater ease, which i guess will improve with the Straddle L development. \

 

best of luck to you in your training! i've found that most of my questions are answered re-reading that particular section in the btgb book. :)

aiken54

Okay thanks! I have not pored over BtGB as much as with Overcoming Gravity. My grip strength is pretty solid. I can do a ring set for about 2-3 minutes before I start feeling fatigue. False grip takes about 30 seconds and is very weak. For my back levers, I train both grips. I am working into transitioning completely into palms down, although I still do train with palms up and neutral.