Currently I'm doing PPP XR strength exercises after a couple of sessions doing 3x5 I thought it was time to move onto XR PPP Plus exercise last night. I found that getting the hold in the planche position even for a split second was impossible for me. My legs just fell straight down. I watched the video off gymnastics bodies and I notice it's done quite elevated. This makes it a bit easier to lean forward and balance more. Although a little easier it was still hard and I didn't have much success. Any suggestions on how to start getting into this exercise?
However a broader question and problem I'm facing is the progression up seem like quite difficult jumps. E.g. Dips to Russian dips I found very difficult. With weight lifting it's much easier you just go up small incremental weights. I find some of the jumps between these exercises is quite large in difficulty. So I'm wondering if it's due to my static holds and how things are supposed to progress. I'm still at the first level of static holds. I have completed 2 Steady state cycles... So i'm still on the frog stand currently doing 15 second holds for 5 reps. So i'm still a long way away from holding a planche position. Yet I feel like i'm up to the PPP XR Plus exercises. Is this abnormal?
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Ppp Xr Plus
Started by aquapura1, January 17, 2013 · 2 Replies · 2,230 Views
Looking at the book, I don't think you're supposed to try to hold a full planche. You're supposed to lift your feet off the support only once you have reached the bottom of the push-up.
What metric do you use to decide when to try to progress to a more difficult variation? It's possible that you're just jumping ahead a little too early. There are also some tricks you can use to help you bust through to a new level. For example, if you can only do 1-2 reps of the next progression of an exercise, you could do 1-2 reps of that exercise followed by more reps at the level you're currently capable of. However, if you're incapable of doing *any* repetitions of the next progression, it's likely that you need to spend more time at the current level.
If you've plateaued for a while, you could try working another exercise and coming back to the one you've been stuck on later. It's easy to fall into a rut if you don't switch things up every few weeks.
If you've gone through a few training cycles of doing other exercises, and come back to find that you're still unable to progress, there are a few tricks you can use to try to bust through your plateau. These are presented in descending order of preference:
1. Try getting a friend to assist you. They should be spotting as lightly as possible. This is the best option, because your friend can give you just barely enough assistance for you to complete the exercise.
2. You can try to assist yourself. E.g. if when first learning dips, it is common to do them with a jump for assistance. When trying to learn Russian dips, you could try to rock forward to assist with the transition from arms on the bar to arms off the bar.
3. You can try performing eccentric exercises, aka "negatives". This simply means performing the exercise backwards: execute a slow, controlled descent rather than an ascent. Negatives are quite taxing on both your muscles and your nervous system, however, because your muscles are resisting a force beyond their maximum ability.
Thanks for the response I'll try what you suggested ![]()