My First Attempt At Inverted Muscle Up (Elevator)

Started by erichlin, January 16, 2013 · 16 Replies · 3,345 Views

erichlin

I have never worked on these before nor specifically trained for it.  I won't be working much strength in the next few months to focus on mobility, so this likely won't progress, but posting this for future reference :)

 

alec_ar

Very nice, my friend. I liked the tempo. Feels good huh?

erichlin

feels great :)

B1214N

Very good! I've noticed that you started out in an inverted chinned-up hang before the inverted curl, could you also do it starting without much of a inverted chin-up and just straight up curl to shoulderstand? Regardless, it is still very impressive!

erichlin

yea i can... it's just there was not enough clearance in that gym unfortunately :(

B1214N
erichlin said:

yea i can... it's just there was not enough clearance in that gym unfortunately :(

That's awesome! Do you have any idea how much you can bicep curl? Do you also do BL curls?

FredInChina

Very nice erichlin :)

Alessandro Mainente

i can do it with elbows at 120°-130° at the beginning...increase the rom of 10° is just so difficult...i'm working on it! but damn biceps explode

alec_ar

Yes MU-BL and partial ROM BL pull ups starting with the eccentric are one thing. Pulling out of for instance, a German Hang or Back Lever with locked out elbows, totally another. Absolutely.

Alessandro Mainente

this makes sense alec...is not the point of maximal elongation of the muscle the point where is generated the maximal strength...

Joshua Naterman

The muscle length doesn't change much, it's just that none of the muscles have a really good line of action when the arm is straight, so you're limited to what brachioradialis and brachialis can do in a very disadvantaged situation.

 

My experience with this, before all the time off, was that the inverted curls are the best way to get into position for the curling portion of the reverse MU. It's a good idea to start off learning false grip inverted hangs (SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY!) if you are comfortable doing so safely. If not, you can always shift your weight to one side and slide into false grip on the other, repeat for other hand, and then continue with reverse MU.

 

Eventually you won't need to do that.

Alessandro Mainente

i've never found false grip in inverted hang too stressful...on the contrary false grip in back lever is insane

B1214N

I can't even hold a false grip in the inverted hang. Maybe that was the biggest factor limiting my ability to do the inverted curl/inverted MU - half. Is there a big disparity in difficulty without a false grip compared to one with false grip?

Daniel Burnham

When I do them spotted and on dream machine the false grip definitely helps. It is much harder to curl up without one.

B1214N
Daniel Burnham said:

When I do them spotted and on dream machine the false grip definitely helps. It is much harder to curl up without one.

Thanks! I figured it had to be much more difficult without one since slow MUs without a false grip are much harder than ones with.

alec_ar

I can tell you personally that a strong false grip helps greatly with that move. Also helps greatly with any back lever-Ian type movements.

B1214N

I'm just wondering, is there anyone here who can do it without a false grip or have seen someone do it?