Press Handstand

Started by matthew.percussion, December 16, 2008 · 46 Replies · 19,192 Views

IvanPS
matthew.percussion said:

They aren't really difficult, but require you to work pretty hard. My face gets really red when I do them. :oops:

I doubt the red face is from the exercises being hard. It's just blood rushing in to your face. :)

matthew.percussion

Well, the exercise does require a lot of work(for me), but I do believe you are right.

I can feel my pulse in my face afterwards. :wink:

Blairbob

HS LL against something are not ez, especially compared to HeS LL, err reverse leg lifts.

Coach Sommer

Not holding your breath during the press handstands will significantly reduce this problem.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

matthew.percussion

Haha. Thanks coach. :P

Blairbob

When a movement is very difficult, many gymnasts will have a hard time remembering to breathe or knowing how to breathe while at the same time tensing up in a strength position ( say a lever of some kind ). They will tense up so hard that they cannot or will not (remember to) breathe.

Many gymnasts will do this when doing wall handstands at first ( obviously beginning gymnasts ). They will simply run out of breath to continue training the movement or skill.

norbeex3

Hi Everyone!

I know this topic is out of date a little bit but I didn't want to increase the entropy on the forum. :)

So I'm working on Straddle Press to Handstand and I ran into an interesting drill. You can see it from 0:37 .

Xd6Jl44e_dY

I wanted to ask if this drill can help me at the straddle press or it is useless?

Gregor

It's good exercise. After you can do a press to HS.

Blairbob

We call it spider-HS. I don't know why, it's a good name.

I work with my boys spotted or against the wall or if their HS is good enough to work free (which they aren't yet).

norbeex3

okay thanks for the responses but can i use it to actually develop the press?

Blairbob

Yes, working that position is a step towards working on your active flexibility or straddle-L.

Hewi

Are there any progressions for the spider-HS? I am doing it butt against the wall so that i pike down, put hands on the ground in front of me about shoulder width and then straddle my legs as wide as i can. I hold it for 5x5 seconds. How does it progress to freestanding?

Thanks :D

Blairbob

free standing means you need to be able to press to it or lower down from a HS.

spider HS is a progression in itself. doing it against a wall or a spot makes it progressively easier.

from the HS, straddle down against the wall.

Hewi

Okay, thank you Blairbob :D

Then it shouldn't be that far away since my press negatives are getting slower and every now and then i can even do the press from standing :P I just can't hold it at the bottom position yet so i figured this is the answer :D

norbeex3

I'd like to add some update to this topic :)

So I'm now trying to develop my straight arm straddle press handstand. I know I wrote here before but it just seemd too hard to shift from headstand presses to HS presses but now I came by a very interesting progression. So here it goes:

What do you think about the 'books method'? I start with the straddle press to HeS, then I progress further with the press with more and more books under my head until my arms are completely straight and close to my head(to the books)... :idea: I think the biggest problem is my lower back so I want to strengthen this part firstly, shoulder is not the bigger problem. So what's your opinion about this method? Will it do any good?

In my point of view it's a good transfer between the HeS press and the HS press.

Blairbob

Yes, that is good and is part of the whole HeSLL>HSLL progression.

norbeex3
Blairbob said:
Yes, that is good and is part of the whole HeSLL>HSLL progression.

I've just started this exercise and my lower back's strength has skyrocketed :) (but I suspect it's only more neural activation)

But I still have one question :) Many-many people are struggle with the transfer between HeSLL->HSLL. How Come no one ever mentioned this progression? :D

I'm not demand on you anything guys do not misunderstand me. I'd just like to ask if there was any negative side effects to this progression.

Blairbob

Dunno, it sort of is in the book.

Before GB, I used it with some girls a long time ago.

nf46

Would just working on freestanding handstands have a carryover to press handstands? or would i need to work on other progressions to develop my press? if so could anyone please reccomend a basic series of progressions? Any help would be much appreciated :)

Thanks

norbeex3
nf46 said:
Would just working on freestanding handstands have a carryover to press handstands? or would i need to work on other progressions to develop my press? if so could anyone please reccomend a basic series of progressions? Any help would be much appreciated :)

Thanks

I'm working on it too and I use the HS wall runs for my shoulders( you can read about this exercise on the forum, there is a whole essay by Coach Sommer on it) and work on your Headstand Leg Lifts. If they became too easy for you there is an interesting exercise I do. Do them the same way as you would with Headstand Leg Lift but put some books under your head. This increases the load on your lower back and you can work up to straight arms with more books.

These two exercise has to be combined and developed as one as you reached the needed strength of course. :roll:

nf46

OK thanks everyone this has really cleared everything up for me :D