This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Luke's Big Boy Workout Log

Started by Luke Leaman, December 16, 2008 · 5 Replies · 811 Views

Luke Leaman

Hello all! Just got the book and DVDs a couple of weeks ago and I have been toying with ideas of how to place gymnastic moves into my routine. I am a former competitive powerlifter and have also competed in Atlantis Texas Strongest Man. I am currently 6' and about 250lbs. I have always wanted to learn gymnastic moves, but at my size, they are very difficult. I firmly believe that you can do anything that you set your mind to, and I will beat the odds that say a guy my size cannot do the advanced techniques in the book. After spending many hours deciding how to go about this, I have decided to use linear periodization via Ian Kings "Get Buffed" series of books. Here is last nights workout...and my abs, back, triceps and biceps are cussing at me today!

I am a very advanced lifter and have been training seriously for about 17 years, so each phase will last approximately 2 weeks before moving on. The first phase revolves around stability/control.

10 min treadmill

Stretching-Chest, lats, Ext Rot, Hams, Hip Flex, Piriformis

Abs-

Straddle V-Sit-2 sets of 15

V to L-a pathetic 3, then finished off with HLL to L for about 10 reps

Handstand against wall-3 sets of 45 seconds

Front Lever, tucked, straight back-3 sets of 10 seconds (Oy Vey!)

L-Sit, straight leg on dip station- 3 sets of 15 seconds

Wrist Ext/Flex 1 set of 60...triple drop of 20 reps each drop

Bicep Incline Curl Tri Set:

1. Hammer Curl 10 reps

2. Curl 10 reps

3. Curl with elbows Out 10 reps

Tricep Pressdown Tri Set:

1. Medium Grip 10 reps

2. Close Grip 10 reps

3. Undergrip 10 reps

DB Pullover 1*10-12 1.5 reps

Front DB Raise 1*10-12 1.5 reps

Neutral Grip Chin 1*10-15 only from bottom to half up

Lateral DB Raise 1*10-15 From 2" above shoulders to 2" below shoulders

Lat Pulldown on Free Motion 1*21 7 full range, 7 bottom to half, 7 top to half

Single Arm DB Delt Press 1*21 as above

Neutral Grip Chin 1*4+ 4 partials

As you can see, lots of exercises, lots of variety....mainly a GPP workout getting me ready for the next phase. I haven't worked out in about 5 weeks, so I'm going to ease back into it.

Luke Leaman

December 16, 2008

10 min treadmill

DB Shrug Combo:

1. Behind Body 2*10

2. At Side 2*10

3. Front Body 2*10

Leg Abduction Machine 2*12-15

Leg Adduction Machine 2*12-15

Single Leg Reverse Hyper 1*10-12

Single Leg Back Extension (Archups) 1*10-12

Single Leg SLDL 1*10-15

At this point my back was flared up...I'm going to have to drop all of these to low reps to avoid the pump, and I need to strengthen and lengthen my Hip Flexors.

I plan to go back later and perform:

Single Leg Good Mornings

Single Leg Bent Knee Deadlifts

Bent Knee Deadlifts

I will get the rest of it plus the other phases typed up and will post for critiques when I can.

griffdrc

good luck... i'm 6' ft and 240 lbs and my workout partner in 6'3 ft and 320 lbs... everything comes slower

Luke Leaman

It's tough isn't it!? How far have you gotten and what is your workout scheme? What is your previous experience with physical culture? I'm happy to see more big dudes that want to try this.

griffdrc

i'm 23... started lifting young for sports... i compete in wrestling and grappling currently

i've just gotten a straddle front lever ~3-5 seconds, adv tuck planche push ups on floor and on rings, freestanding handstand ~30-45 seconds, freestanding one arm handstand ~3-5 seconds, freestanding handstand on rings ~3-5 seconds, 2 1/2 bowers, rto dips + 90lbs, pullups + 135lbs...

i use undulating periodization... will adjust volume near competitions... focus primarily on low reps and longer rest... reps increase as we move away from base exercises... i avoid maxing... a typical day may look something like this...

warm up, stability and balence

olympic lift (5 sets, 3-5reps)

dynamic push/pull (alternate 4 sets, 3-6 reps)

assistant exercise (varies)

static hold (alternate 3 sets)

core (varies)

Luke Leaman

Griff, I decided to start leaning up. I hit 251.4 and then decided to start dropping back to 230 or so ripped. Everything is getting easier as I practice and as I drop unneeded bodyfat, but yes, it really does come slow lol.