Hspu Critique

Started by Jonathan Mead, January 14, 2013 · 2 Replies · 1,436 Views

Jonathan Mead

In today's WOD I was working on HSPUs against the wall and trying to get better at staying hollow during the holds. I could previously bust out like 8-12 reps but with a really horrible arch. Hollow is obviously MUCH harder!!

 

My problem is I can't seem to control the arch on the way up. And if I let myself get to the bottom of ROM where my head touches the floor I can't even press up properly.

 

Any advice for strengthening the bottom position and getting better at keeping hollow body position?

 

Should I do HBH sets for a certain amount of time maybe?

 

Here's the video: 

 

yuri marmerstein

The problem is that for the mostpart, HSPU or HeSPU against the wall feel nothing like they do when you balance.  When it gets hard, your body will desperately do whatever it can to cheat the movement despite your best wishes. 

 

Also remember that in a real HSPU, the head will go not between the hands, but in front to conserve the balance.  As you lower you will need to lean forward to better simulate the final product. 

 

Also, remember to work on your handstand balance.  I see way too many people, adults and children, who are working HSPU and straight arm presses when they cannot hold a handstand. 

Jonathan Mead

Thanks for the feedback Yuri. I've been working a lot on my freestanding HS and can hold for about 20-30 seconds on a good day. I'm also practicing Free HS lower to Bent arm stand. They're a work in progress though.

 

I'm just wondering how I can get stronger with this. I guess it's just a matter of slowly increasing the ROM in the HSPU without breaking form until it's perfect.