bent elbow planche

Started by Chris H Laing, December 16, 2008 · 4 Replies · 6,771 Views

Chris H Laing

I have trained the planche in the past, and it gave me some elbow problems. I am interested in starting again, but not very interested in experiencing the elbow problems.

Would it be beneficial enough to train the planche with slightly bent elbows as opposed to perfectly straight elbows?

I think that would help alleviate the elbow pain, but I know it is hard to learn to straighten the elbows after working the move with bent ones for so long. I'm interested to see what you guys think, because I'd really like to work on the planche, but I'm not sure if it would be better to condition my elbows for more straight arm work, or train with bent arms and work on straightening them eventually.

braindx

Simply put, no.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1211

If you're having elbow problems you need to resolve those first if at all possible.

Blairbob

Chris, did you bother training the frog stand at first? Do you have natural hyperextension in your elbows? Did you build up a base of bent arm and straight arm strength before hand ( pushups, dips, support on PB or rings, handstand? ) Did you ever have any elbow injuries?

Chris H Laing
braindx said:

If you're having elbow problems you need to resolve those first if at all possible.

It was only a problem for my elbows when I was working the planche. As soon as I stopped the pain went away.

blairbob said:

Chris, did you bother training the frog stand at first? Do you have natural hyperextension in your elbows? Did you build up a base of bent arm and straight arm strength before hand ( pushups, dips, support on PB or rings, handstand? ) Did you ever have any elbow injuries?

I did train the frog stand first last time, up to a hold of a minute, but it was with bent arms. I may have a tiny amount of hyperextension in my elbows. I did build up bent arm strength beforehand, but handstands were my only straight arm strength. And no elbow injuries.

Coach Sommer

Depending on the degree of hyperextension which you have, you may be better off for the time being simply limiting your straight arm work to lever and press handstand variations until your bicep hypertrophy is pronounced enough to protect the elbow joint.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer