So everything I've been able to find on dead hangs on this site tells me to relax, even actively push my shoulders up into my ears. And that I should begin each pullup the same way.
I have a few questions about this.
1. is the strain that I feel in the bottom of a dead hang merely load being placed on the tendons, or are they also being stretched? My understanding is that only muscles should be stretched, tendons and ligaments need to be kept "tight" and will merely lose structural integrity when lengthened.
2. Should you also begin a one arm chinup from a dead hang?
I can understand why entering and leaving a hang would be beneficial in terms of generating power, scapular strength ect (it's similar to the added push from the scapulars you have to do in a pushup) but the shoulders are the most complicated joints in the body and I want to make sure i'm not risking a tear or dislocation here.