Fsp Critique And Questions

Started by Jonathan Mead, January 10, 2013 · 3 Replies · 1,298 Views

Jonathan Mead

Hey guys, did a test today to see what I should be doing in training for my FSP's.

 

Here are the results for max hold times:

 

Advanced frog: 30 seconds

FL tuck: 30 seconds

BL tuck: 30 seconds

Lsit: 10 seconds

Straddle low: 20 seconds

 

 

Sorry about the FL/BL, didn't get that shot very well.

 

Here are my questions:

 

1. How does my form look in each of the positions? I'm curious if I have the proper scapular position.

 

2. Should I try to half these times and then do the adequate number of sets to reach 60 seconds? Or should I do an easier variation and do it completely as a warmup? I noticed that some people (including Joshua Naterman) do it this way. I'm not sure what the best approach is.

 

3. Should I also be trying to work in dead hang, pb/xr support, hollow body hold, arch body hold in with the FSPs?

 

Thanks for your advice and help!

3D Guy

1. front lever, you need to work on your retraction, remember that is not only about hanging in a tuck position, is about to retract you scapulas too =).  Back lever, you MUST work with a supinated grip (palms facing down) in that way you will strengthen your bicep tendons. i can't give you advice about frogstand, as i don't work for planche and have no experiecies with that. L-sit, you need to work in your hammies flexibility, and hip mobility. Keep going with l-sit work =), straddle i can't give you any advice..

 

2. " Or should I do an easier variation and do it completely as a warmup?" yep, in the positions in which working at 50%-60% would represent something like 12-15 secs, you should use those numbers.

 

In the positions in which 50-60% represents only about 6-8 secs, go back for a lighter variation and work on it 

 

3. Do them in a sepparated way. When you are able to work them easily each of them for more than 60 secs in a perfect way, then you can skip them and focus only in your fsp

Jonathan Mead

Thanks so much for your help man, this is really great feedback. I decided to do the PB bent straddle sit, and the PB lsit tuck until I can build up for longer holds.

 

Would you recommend doing all the FSPs four days a week?

3D Guy

Personally i would reccommend you to work them in a circuit fashion, in the beginner progressions.

 

When you get enough strength for working the levers in the straddle /one leg progression, l-sit in floor and tucked planche, then you probably will work them in pairs (back lever and l-sit, front lever and planche) and working them twice a week...

 

This will give you chance to recovery completely between workouts.