My Planche And Press Routine

Started by Tor, January 10, 2013 · 14 Replies · 2,223 Views

Richard Burns

1. Your tuck planche looks clean. especially hip level.

2. You're laying on the rings during the press.  protraction at the top of the ring PPP.

3. I suggest that you do HeSPU negative. Hands shoulder width. Elbows tucked in.

4. Place your hands closer to your hips. This makes it easier to execute becuase of the leverage.   

Tor

Thanks for the tips, I'll correct them!
Only found 2 of them myself so it's great help!

Yaad Mohammad
Tor said:
Thanks for the tips, I'll correct them!

Only found 2 of them myself so it's great help!

 

Richard Burns said:
1. Your tuck planche looks clean. especially hip level.

2. You're laying on the rings during the press.  protraction at the top of the ring PPP.

3. I suggest that you do HeSPU negative. Hands shoulder width. Elbows tucked in.

4. Place your hands closer to your hips. This makes it easier to execute becuase of the leverage.   

Actually, the tuck planche needs more scapula protraction. You really have to define your hollow body position. It's one of the most important parts in the planche!

Tor
Yaad Mohammad said:
Actually, the tuck planche needs more scapula protraction. You really have to define your hollow body position. It's one of the most important parts in the planche!

I'll attempt this tomorrow and post an update, hollow back seems like the key to it :)

Tor

Update
Today I was primary focusing on the protraction - which I will from now on call hollowback. Checked the foundation forum, lots of good input. Now is this a proper form, and yea. Some questions asked in the movie, perhaps I got it right this time ;)

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrNf_93Zd_E

Joshua Slocum

Your shoulders and upper back look good: it's a nice hollow. On the push-ups you bent at the hips a bit, and your handstand needs to be more open. Overall it looks very good.

Tor

Thanks :) yea, concentrating hard on the hollow back tends to mess up my form otherwise, will look into it next training :)

But what do you mean about open? :)

Joshua Slocum

If you were to draw an angle between your hands, your shoulders and your sternum, the angle would be less than 180 degrees. You want to try to make it precisely 180. Another way to think about it is to try to make your chest hollow instead of arched. Fixing this can be done by performing wall handstands with your chest facing the wall. Eventually you want to be able to get to the point where you can balance with a straight body and your hands right up against the wall. 

Tor

Well that's something interesting. Been doing handstands for about 6 years - learned by myself - and I've never thought of it that way. Now would this also have a impact on my one arm, because the arching chest kinda puts me off balance.

Ohh and thanks :) Really appreciate it

Yaad Mohammad
Tor said:
Well that's something interesting. Been doing handstands for about 6 years - learned by myself - and I've never thought of it that way. Now would this also have a impact on my one arm, because the arching chest kinda puts me off balance.

Ohh and thanks :) Really appreciate it

By having a completely open shoulder in your handstand, your one handed handstand will improve drastically.

Joshua Slocum
Tor said:
Well that's something interesting. Been doing handstands for about 6 years - learned by myself - and I've never thought of it that way. Now would this also have a impact on my one arm, because the arching chest kinda puts me off balance.

Ohh and thanks :) Really appreciate it

I'm actually in the same boat. I learned a handstand with an arched chest and I've been doing it that way for years. I found out a few months ago that it should really be hollow (this makes it much easier to balance, and also just looks better), and I'm only now putting in the work to correct it. 

Tor
jfslocum said:
I'm actually in the same boat. I learned a handstand with an arched chest and I've been doing it that way for years. I found out a few months ago that it should really be hollow (this makes it much easier to balance, and also just looks better), and I'm only now putting in the work to correct it. 

 

That's really good to hear. Believe it or not ;) Worked on what I read about opening the chest, and tried some wall stands. Now is this a more proper form?

 

*at the end of the video

Joshua Slocum

It is improved but you're not quite there yet. 

Tor
jfslocum said:
It is improved but you're not quite there yet. 

That's encouraging to hear :) And I understand it way better now. However, is it possible without looking "backwards" tilting my head down, although it probably makes it a bit easier :)