Does Practicing Only Fsp And Press To Handstands Promote Muscle Hypertropy?

Started by Paolo, January 9, 2013 · 3 Replies · 2,117 Views

Paolo

I asked my sister (15 years old & XC runner) if she wanted me to train her to be the first girl on YouTube to master all the FSPs and presses. At first she agreed, but then changed her mind because she didn't want to get big and muscular like those male Olympic gymnasts. I showed her videos of lean (you could say skinny) female acrobats in the circus doing OAHS and presses and the occasional straddle planche, but she refused to believe me. I told her that I've been practicing FSP's for 2 years now and I've pretty much stayed the same weight, which is 120 lbs. I think I've gotten leaner, but haven't developed much muscle mass. She has the same diet as me and everyone else in my family. 

 

Oh well, she probably won't change her mind, but I'm just wondering:

 

BAS promotes the desired muscle hypertrophy by many people in the GB forums, but SAS does not (provide much muscle hypertrophy). Why is that the case? I know that hormone levels is a huge factor - to what degree, I do not know. 

 

Many female gymnasts excel in presses, but I don't think I've come across a girl doing bowers or perfect planche push ups. Lack of triceps strength? 

FutureisNow

She shouldn't worry about getting bulky. Take a look at female gymnasts. Maybe a little tighter and more defined. 

Flameous

It doesn't depend so much on what you do but volume and TUT. It makes a significant difference whether you are training some 6s straddle planche opposed to 40+s tuck FL.

 

I'd say that in the beginning (of BtGB) when the easy static holds to master are to be trained to 60s, it is where you are making most of your hypertrophy. At least that's what happened to me. I only do 3x3 or 5x3 dynamic movements so they have very little hypertrophy effect, yet I made some pretty significant muscle gains. I think long statics had a big impact on it, but fixing my diet probably had even bigger effect.

 

Generally to get bulky, it takes a lot of eating. 

FutureisNow

Girls her age don't get bulky doing gymnastics period.  Hormone thing.... They get strong and hard bodies. IMO, if they ate a lot they'd get fatter not more muscular.