So after much research, I'm quite sure that poor protraction ability is my weak link for planche, and perhaps hurts many other skills I do as well. My trap-3 is likely just fine and stronger than more than 99% of the population.
When I'm interested in something, I have a tendency to go to the extremes and beyond. And so, in order to get my protraction ability up to par, I've decided to work protraction exercises in a wide variety of manners. 1) Is this a good idea or a bad idea? 2) Any comments about this strategy or what I do in the video? 3) Should I stop planche training all together while I build my protraction ability, or can I still planche but at a low level?
I'll show a video of all the exercises I do.
- On the forearm exercise, I can see I struggle to stay protracted, but I think just a bit, so hopefully this isn't too advanced for me and it'll improve with a bit more practice.
- The arm raises in front, and the supine wall push, it seems essential that the shoulder retracts when raised/extended to a certain height, but I think this can still be beneficial as long as it's practiced with the intention to stay protracted as much as possible.
- I just thought of doing protacted chest flyes after this video, so not included.
I do 3 sets of 10 for all exercises, except for dips which are 3 sets of 5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27pySjPaDjA