Joint And Tendon Conditioning For Bl

Started by seiyafan, January 8, 2013 · 7 Replies · 3,661 Views

seiyafan

Right now I can hold a tucked BL for 5-10 seconds but it will result in a great stress for my elbows and bicep tendons (I try to turn rings outward), how do you keep your elbows and bicep strong to keep the BL longer and later can advance to more difficult variation? Is it just keep doing it more and more and it will get stronger naturally? And at what intensity level should I train it for? 4 times a week and 4-5 sets each time? I don't want to undertrain but at the same I want to minimize the pain to get the gain. 

Thanks!

Guest

I only do BLevers and planches two times a week, as the tendons and ligaments need more time to recover than the muscles. Keep in mind that I'm still a beginner, you could do more, if you're ready for it (I have a full backlever but do not train it so often). Start by doing it twice a week, than add in an extra day if you feel you could manage it. DO NOT hesitate to add in another rest day. If you feel pain, STOP! Being sore is not the same as having pain.

For me, I do 3-4 sets and thats it. I always do max holds, which is not the best way to go, but works for me. 

If you want more information, send me a message, or even better, ask someone more experienced than me!

Daniel Burnham

I would stop back lever training and work on a good rings turned out support. This will strengthen the biceps and you will have an easier time with back lever. Take time with elbows including biceps and triceps. It will pay off in the long run.

Guest

You should listen to Daniel! He's way more experienced than I :) And he's correct!

Btw, do you compete Daniel?

B1214N

To add to those, I recommend some heavy bicep curls to strengthen the biceps. High rep light weight bicep curls also help heal the biceps tendons too. 

 

I have a question related to this topic. Does the supinated grip back lever have the same amount of elbow and biceps tendon stress as a fingers back planche? I can do both, but I can't really determine if they are the same or not since I barely even feel any elbow or tendon stress from either one. This question is for personal knowledge as I wonder where the supinated grip BL ranks in Coach's elbow conditioning exercise list.

seiyafan

Do you turn the rings out as much in XR L-sit as in XR support?

Daniel Burnham
seiyafan said:
Do you turn the rings out as much in XR L-sit as in XR support?

You probably should, but I notice most don't.  Probably because they are bent over the rings and this makes it harder.  Also the body will try to rotate over on you and this will make you tend to turn the hands in to balance.  Still, emphasize turning them out in l-sit as much as possible.

Joshua Naterman
seiyafan said:
Right now I can hold a tucked BL for 5-10 seconds but it will result in a great stress for my elbows and bicep tendons (I try to turn rings outward), how do you keep your elbows and bicep strong to keep the BL longer and later can advance to more difficult variation? Is it just keep doing it more and more and it will get stronger naturally? And at what intensity level should I train it for? 4 times a week and 4-5 sets each time? I don't want to undertrain but at the same I want to minimize the pain to get the gain. 

Thanks!

Start in a tucked inverted hang, and lower to a position that you can hold pain-free for 20+ seconds. Keep doing that. Over time, the position will get lower. Eventually you'll be in a pain-free 20+ second BL.