Baby Giants and False Scissors

Started by matthew.percussion, December 14, 2008 · 6 Replies · 2,766 Views

matthew.percussion

I have been working hard on these two skills and just cannot seem to get either of them to work. My false scissor is coming along but, by no means is it consistent. I normally come back down and hit by back leg on the horse.

My baby giants(3/4 giant) I always bend my knees and tuck up really tight. I also land on top of the bar, normally on my pelvis(nice bruising from this :shock: ).

I guess I was just wondering if anyone had advice on either of these skills. Thanks in advance.

-Matthew

braindx

Get some vids up. Easier to detect what you're doing wrong if we can see it. Otherwise you're just gonna get general advice.

Also, check out drillsandskills.com

matthew.percussion

I won't be able to get video probably until next Saturday. If by chance I get some time during practice during the week I'll get some. Drills and Skills doesn't really help for either of these skills.

General advice is fine though seeing as I really don't know how to do baby giants at all. False scissors are coming along though.

Blairbob

1. if you post on a thread at drillsandskill's forum, you'll have a better chance for someone responding regarding pommel horse technique. the bulk of this forum is strength related with a handful of posters ( besides coach ) posting anything about apparatus technique.

2. false scissors have been brought to attention in threads on drillsandskill's probably a zillion times. ok, i'm exaggerating, but if you search for scissors or false scissors, you'll get a lot of ideas

3. http://drillsandskills.com/images/display?path=phz002a.mpg there is nothing particulary fantastic about a false scissor. you just have to kick the top leg high enough so the lower leg follows. ideally the bottom leg should be high enough to clear the pommels so ya don't have to try throwing it over. most gymnasts will focus on getting the lower leg over and not the top leg high and passing the lower leg over. BIG SWINGS.

4. baby giants have been brought up a gagillion times over at D&S because it's in the L6 girls and boys routine. personally i hate it, but i reccomend drilling with a spot and if not drilling it in straps. you want a late tap so you get something better than just swinging and pulling your hips into the bar ( and crushing your hips or family jewels ). the top of the tap swing should be above the bar focusing on going up and not out ( late tap ). ideally it would be a giant swing that decides to not go to giant and turns over pulling back towards the bar ( while being over it, not under it ) and through the support.

http://drillsandskills.com/images/display?path=ubar992.gif

all of the drills for back giants can be used for baby giants. it is also called 3/4 giant or a swinging pullover.

matthew.percussion

Thanks a bunch Blairbob. I was actually watching a ton of videos today and realized that I can fix some of my baby giant problems the same way I fixed my flyaway. It's the late tap you were talking about. I'm sure getting my swing a little higher wouldn't hurt.

Thanks again!

-Matthew

Blairbob

yep that late® tap turns into higher flyaways and giants

for the baby giant, you don't need to cast and push out very high but good extension as you bail is necessary so ya don't *cathunk* your shoulders because they aren't pushed as you get into the tap swing. That *cathunk* is also what causes the early tap.

Coach Sommer

Matthew,

If you are hitting your back leg during your false scissors, it is probably due to the hips being too far forward during your stride swings rather than directly between your hands as they should be.

The number one error that causes athletes to land on top of the bar during the 3/4 (baby) giant is a failure to shift the grip early enough.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer