Handstand And Planche Form Check!

Started by Guest, January 6, 2013 · 1 Replies · 1,434 Views

Guest

Hi!

I've started my planche training again, and I'm also working on a straight handstand. Could someone check my form and maybe give me some kind of critique or tips? I want to fix faults before they become habits!
(I know my breathing isn't the best during handstands, I will work on that)
thanks in advance!

handstandplanche.wmv

Craig

Your handstand line still needs a little work, as you are a little closed through the shoulders and a little arched through the back.  Coach's new book will outline some very nice drills for opening the shoulders in preparation for handstand.  Wall extensions help (video on Coach's youtube channel), and you can also stand with your back hollowed against the wall (so no gaps between wall and back at any point) and practicing lifting your straight arms shoulder width apart above the head.  Having the feet away from the wall and/or bending the legs will take a portion of the hip flexor flexibility requirement out, which can then be reintroduced slowly as you improve.  Eventually you'll want to be able to stand back against the wall with heels touching the wall, legs straight, back totally flat against the wall and arms touching the wall for the entire length.  Then you know your line will be good! :)

 

I also found moving the belly to wall extremely close to the wall helps to open up the shoulders while under load.

 

Your planche looks good, you could work on compressing the legs in (bring the knees closer to chest and ankles closer to bum) just to develop some extra strength while you are working in that position.

 

Hope this helps! I'm nitpicking a little bit, but its usually the small details that help the most I've found :)

 

Cheers,

Craig