This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Boban's Log

Started by tcorgat, January 6, 2013 · 17 Replies · 185 Views

tcorgat

I've finaly decided to start a log here, after 4 months of using the site. This will be a short rant that might seem boring to some, but I like to tell a couple of things about myself.

I'm an ex-gymnast. I trained gymnastics from when I was 6 years old, for 4 years straight. I was still physically active afterwards (I even kept my l-sit skill), but it wasn't untill 2 years ago when I started to do some more serious bodyweight training (although simple exercises like pushups, pullups, situps etc).

However 6 months ago I realised that I wasn't progressing anymore with those exercises so I decided to try some weightlifting. I quickly learned the exercises (deadlift, bench, rows, squats and similar) but I felt that they just don't do it for me. I just didn't feel as satisfied or happy with that kind of training as opposed to the bodyweight I was doing before.  

Then came the 2012 London Olympics. I was watching the Gymnastics event and I rediscovered my love for the sport. I searched the net and I found this place. The greatest discovery of my life. I followed a Killroy70 routine for 2 months, and in November I moved to the WOD. I was surprised at the exercises I could do rigt away, remembering them from my old Gymnastics days. Inverted hang, German hang, Tucked fl, bl, Tuck pl, L-sit, V-sit, straddle l-sit, Handstands(not freestanding though) etc. I would say that some gymnastics skills are for life. I haven't done a German hang for 15 years and I was able to do one at first, almost fully veritical. It's crazy.




I don't own rings yet (I do plan to buy them), but I do have access to a bar that I'm using for the rings exercises.

Most training days consists of:

- the prereqs, 60sec each, although I substitute the dead hang for 30-60sec German hang.

- stretching (one harder session, one lighter, alternating every training day)

- 4 FSP's progressions pl, fl, bl & l-sit

I won't be including them in my logs, which will be focused on the main training (the wod) and some other stuff. I'll be starting a new steady state cycle for the fsp's, so when I figure out the numbers I'll write them. Also, I'm doing the WODs a week behind. Ok that's it, so I'm starting tomorrow.

tcorgat

Wod 121231 - Leg/Lower back strength

 

Perform three rounds of the following:
 
5 Stall Bar RLL     -->  5 RLL Headstand
10 Killers              -->  4 Single leg squats, 10 Killers, 2 Single leg squats
5 Curl-ups
20m Sled Sprint    -->  20m Stationary bike on highest difficulty
 
Finish with 6x10 Straddle L.
 
Notes:
- Couldn't go out, so I had to settle with the stationary bike alternative.
- Nice stretching today. The pike, pancake, center split were really satisfying. The front split is coming along pretty well. I'm almost doing it.
tcorgat

Wod 130101 - Handstand

 

2x10 Cast Wall Walks                 -->  2x5 Cast Wall Walks
2x5 Pike Box Press HS               -->  2x5 Pike Press HeS
2x10 Straddle Box Press HS      -->  2x5 Straddle Press HeS
12 cycles of XR Strap HS           -->  12 cycles of Wall HS 
 
Finish with 1x10 Wrist Pushups
 
2x5 Shoulder Dislocates (1 normal grip + 1 dorsal grip)
 
Notes:
- Very satisfied with todays training. I've never done the whole 12 HS cycles before, so I'm really proud of myself for achieving it today.
tcorgat

Wod 130103 - Dynamic Pull

 

Complete four rounds:

 

2 – Front Pulls
1 - 15’ Cirque      -->  Couple of Chin-ups
2 – Front Pulls
5 –FL Pulls
2 – Front Pulls
10 – Lat Flys
 
Running for 2km
2x5 Shoulder Dislocates (1 normal grip + 1 dorsal grip)
 
Notes:
- Did all the front pulls with completely straight arms in a tucked position. My personal best so far, the last dynamic pull training session I was doing them with bending the elbows a bit.
- The Lat Flys were not good today. I couldn't keep the elbows at a 90 degrees bent, so they were progressively moving away from it from round to round.
- I prepeared myself for the next steady state cycle for the FSPs - 4x15 L-Sit, 4x15 Tuck Planche, 4x15 Tuck Front Lever (I can do this for 3x20, but decided to work more on the form, keeping my body completely parallel to the ground) & 3x20 Tuck Back Lever (I recently finished with 3x30 German Hang, so I decided to take it slowly for the BL, to get familiar with the position and find the right form, even though I can do an adv.tuck BL).
tcorgat

Wod 130104 - Ring Strength

 

3 sets of: Basic Ring Strength 3    --> 3 sets of: 2x (Pullover -> Negative Muscle-Up) L-hang -> Inverted hang -> 360 Pull (in tucked position)
 
5x15 seconds FL                           --> 5x15 Tuck FL
5x15 sec Descending XR L-sit       --> 5x15 Regular L-Sit
5x15 seconds German Hang
 
Finish the workout with 2x10 Wall Extensions.
 
Notes:
- As I said, I don't own rings, so this training for me is Bar Strength.
- Did a couple of false grip pullups before the ring strength series, and almost did a muscle up.
- Couldn't figure out what the Descending XR L-sit is (wether is descending from an L-Hang to dead hang or...) so I just did a normal L-Sit.
tcorgat

Wod 130107 - Embedded

 

Complete 3 sets of each:

1 Embedded XR L-sit  + 5 Tempo XR Bulgarian Dip    -->  5 Tempo Single Bar Dip
1 Embedded BL (Pull from Germnan Hang to BL, pullout to Inverted Hang) + 5 Tempo Half Neg MU   -->  5 Tempo Inverted Chin-Ups (Pike)
1 Embedded FL (Pull from Dead Hang to FL, lower to Dead Hang) + 6 Tempo Under-grip HLL
 
Finish the workout with 10 Bridge Wall Walks (Without wall assistance)
 
Notes:
- I found out that my FL is way better when I'm pulling from Dead Hang, compared to when I'm lowering from Inverted hang. I can get a better retraction that way and my fl is more tight and feel I can do more time that way.
- The Bridge wall walks felt really great after the workout.
tcorgat

Wod 130108 - Dynamic Leg

 

Complete four rounds:

60 sec Jump Rope        -->  30 sec Jump Rope
30m Sled/Tire Sprint     -->  30m Stationary bike on highest difficulty
60 sec Jump Rope        -->  30 sec Jump Rope
20m Squat Jumps
60 sec Jump Rope        -->  30 sec Jump Rope
10 Depth Jumps
 
Pike Stretch & PL Lean (fingers backward) after 1st and 3rd round
Center Split & PL Lean (fingers forward) after 2nd and 4th round
 
Finish the workout with 2x60 seconds of Seated Toe Point Stretch.
 
Notes:
- I trained at home today, so no sprinting.
 
 
tcorgat

Wod 130110 - Leg Strength

 

Perform 3 rounds of the following:

10 Half Windshield Wipers
10 Overhead Lunges             -->  4 SLS - 10 Overhead Lunges - 2 SLS
20m Backward Sled Sprint     -->  20m Running up a very steep hill
5 NGHR                                  -->  5 GHR - Half   
 
Finish with 6x10 Straddle L.
 
A couple of Front Handsprings
Running for 2 km
 
Notes:
- I haven't done a front handspring for 10+ years. I decided to give it a try today and I managed to do a couple of them without falling down. My legs were slightly bending at the landing, but it's acceptable since I haven't trained them for such a long time. I think I'm gonna start doing them as a warmup in my outdoors training days (on grass).
tcorgat

Wod 130111 - Handstand

 

Perform:
1x10 Cast Wall Walks                      -->  1x7 Cast Wall Walks
1x5 Pike Box Press HS                    -->  1x5 Pike Press HeS
1x10 Straddle Box Press HS            -->  1x10 Straddle Press HeS
10 minutes of HS Wall Runs            -->   6x30-45sec HS Wall Runs
 
Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups
 
5 Dorsal Pushups
2x10 Shoulder Dislocates (1 normal grip + 1 dorsal grip)
 
Notes:
- A little dissapointed with the Wall Runs today. I planned to do 10 sets, but by the end of the 6th I felt that I couldn't do any more sets.
- The Hes presses were very good today
tcorgat

Wod 130114 - Dynamic Push

 

Complete four rounds:
2 Cast Wall Walks
3 XR Strap HSPU           -->  3 FX HeSPU Negative
2 Cast Wall Walks
5 XR Dips to L-sit           -->  5 PB Dips to L-sit
2 Cast Wall Walks
7 XR PPP                       -->  7 FX PPP
 
Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups
 
Notes:
- I felt a little lazy at first, but after the first set I felt so energised and "powerfull" so that the rest of the workout was a pure joy.
- I still can't keep up for a whole session with full HeSPU so did only Negatives today.
- Really satisfied with the PPP, I had a great form for every rep.
 
tcorgat

Wod 130117 - Embedded

 

Couple of Cartwheels, Round-offs, Front Handsprings and Bar Swinging.

 

Complete 3 sets of each:

1 Embedded BL  (Pull from Germnan Hang to BL, pullout to Inverted Hang)  + 5 Tempo FL Pulls
1 Embedded L-sit  + 5 Chest Roll to HeS
1 Embedded FL  (Pull from Dead Hang to FL, lower to Dead Hang)  + 5 Tempo L-sit Lifts
 
Finish the workout with 10 Bridge Wall Walks (Without wall assistance)
 
Running for 2km.
 
Notes:
- Had to skip the previous training (Ring Strength).
- I got the right feeling for the front handsprings today. No bending in legs on landing.
- The Bar Swings were nice; I was going parallel to the ground.
- The tuck FL is coming along pretty good.
tcorgat

Wod 130121 - Leg Strength

 

Perform the following:


3x5 GHR                            -->  3x5 GHR - Half
3x10 Weighted SLS
3x5 HeS RLL
 


Finish with 4x15 straddle L.

 

Notes:

- I had to use the "toes under a couch" for the GHR; It caused me some nice calf cramps :)

- I realised that my hips in the tuck planche aren't exactly at shoulder height. I have to fix that, even if it means going one step backwards at 6x10sec.

- I used two different hand postitions for the straddle L: fingers forward & fingers backwards.

tcorgat

Wod 130122 - Handstand

 

Perform:
2x10 Cast Wall Walks                  -->  2x5 Cast Wall Walks
2x5 Pike Box Press HS                -->  2x5 Pike Press HeS
2x10 Straddle Box Press HS        -->  2x5 Straddle Press HeS
Walking HSPU Ladders               -->  2 Rounds containing just the first two exercises
 
Finish with 1x10 Wrist Pushups
 
2x10 Shoulder Dislocates (1 normal grip + 1 dorsal grip)
 
Notes:
- Today's tuck pl was at the right height, and I managed to do it for 4x15sec.
- Up untill today I was doing the wrist pushups on my knees with no piking. Today I finally managed to do them on my feet, just the way they should be done.
- The ladders were a bit to much today, I only managed to do 2 rounds (instead of 5). I think my main problem with these are the wall runs, it's difficult to do them right after the HeSPU's.
- Today I tried the HeSPU Negatives with stomach to wall, and they do feel slightly easier but more comfortable as oppsed to back to wall.
tcorgat

Wod 130124 - Dynamic Leg

 

Complete four rounds:

5 Box Jumps
10 Squat Jumps
5 Depth Jumps
 
Finish the workout with 2x30 seconds Weighted Pike Stretch
 
Notes:
- Nothing particular to say today, everything went fine.
tcorgat

Wod 130125 - Ring Strength

 

Couple of Cartwheels, Round-offs, Front Handsprings and Bar Swinging.

 

Complete the following:
3 sets of: MU, forward roll MU to BL, lower to German Hang, pullout to hanging L, Crank, Reverse Crank, FL      -->  3 sets of: Pullover, Negative MU, BL tuck, GH, L-Hang, Crank tuck, reverse crank tuck, FL
5x15 seconds FL                     -->  5x15 seconds FL Tuck
5x15 seconds XR Strap HS      -->  5x15 seconds wall/freestanding HS
5x15 seconds German Hang
 
Finish the workout with 2x10 Wall Extensions.
 
Running for 2km.
tcorgat

Wod 130128 - Embedded

 

Couple of Cartwheels, Round-offs, Front Handsprings and Bar Swinging.

 

Complete 3 sets of each:
1 Embedded L-sit  + 5 Tempo Russian Dips
1 Embedded BL  (Pull from Germnan Hang to BL, pullout to Inverted Hang) + 5 Tempo Half Reverse MU   -->  Inverted Chin-ups
1 Embedded FL (Pull from Dead Hang to FL, lower to Dead Hang) + 5 Tempo Straddle V-ups
 
Finish the workout with 10 Bridge Wall Walk
 
Running for 2km.
tcorgat

Wod 130129 - Dynamic Push

 

Complete four rounds:
2 L-sit press to Tuck PL
7 HeSPU
2 L-sit press to Tuck PL
5 Korean Dips
2 L-sit press to Tuck PL
3 Wheels
 
Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups
 
Notes:
- I'm doing the l-sit presses to tuck pl on the ground with flat hands, slightly wider.
- In between sets I was doing pl leans.
tcorgat

Wod 130131 - Leg Strength

 

Perform three rounds of the following:
5 RLL
10 Killers                     -->  4 SLS - 10 Killers - 2 SLS
5 Arch-ups
20m Sled Sprint
 
Finish with 4x15 straddle L variation.