Back Tuck Form Check

Started by Yaad Mohammad, January 4, 2013 · 10 Replies · 2,402 Views

Yaad Mohammad

 

I know the combinations aren't really gymnastic but some of them are.

Andreas

You're tucking to early and you're releasing the bar to early on the double back off, a common issue mostly caused by the fear of hitting the bar. But the timing here is rather tricky, and hitting the bar is really painful, so if you don't plan to compete I'd rather go with too early than with too late.

 

The standing flips look good, have seen a lot of gymnasts who are worse standing flippers.

 

How do you get the opportunity to work in such a great gym which is nearly empty?

Joshua Slocum

Andreas is spot on. Your standing flips are good. Your dismount releases too early and tucks too early. How are your flyaways? Can you comfortably do one laid out with good form and timing? If not, working that will directly benefit your double back. 

AlexX
jfslocum said:
Andreas is spot on. Your standing flips are good. Your dismount releases too early and tucks too early. How are your flyaways? Can you comfortably do one laid out with good form and timing? If not, working that will directly benefit your double back. 

I would advise to following the layout suggestion. It's also a lot harder to hit the bar on a layout. 

Yaad Mohammad
Andreas said:
You're tucking to early and you're releasing the bar to early on the double back off, a common issue mostly caused by the fear of hitting the bar. But the timing here is rather tricky, and hitting the bar is really painful, so if you don't plan to compete I'd rather go with too early than with too late.

 

The standing flips look good, have seen a lot of gymnasts who are worse standing flippers.

 

How do you get the opportunity to work in such a great gym which is nearly empty?

My coach hired the gym. We were with 20 people actually, but I was the only male so I could do everything :D

 

jfslocum said:
Andreas is spot on. Your standing flips are good. Your dismount releases too early and tucks too early. How are your flyaways? Can you comfortably do one laid out with good form and timing? If not, working that will directly benefit your double back. 

My flyaways are pretty good yeah, really comfortable with them and the timing is good. My coach wants me to do flyaway half twist, but we got acces to the gym that day so I tried double backs.

 

AlexX said:
I would advise to following the layout suggestion. It's also a lot harder to hit the bar on a layout. 

Layouts really give me a feeling of hitting the bar, but I'll try them.

AlexX
Yaad Mohammad said:
My coach hired the gym. We were with 20 people actually, but I was the only male so I could do everything :D

 

My flyaways are pretty good yeah, really comfortable with them and the timing is good. My coach wants me to do flyaway half twist, but we got acces to the gym that day so I tried double backs.

 

Layouts really give me a feeling of hitting the bar, but I'll try them.

This is a common fear. However it is pretty hard, physically, to actually hit the bar during a layout. During my few years of coaching I've never had anyone clip their toes on a layout (it's not impossible, just never happened) but I've seen a few clipped tucks. 

Yaad Mohammad

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="AlexX" data-cid="93255" data-time="1357353954"><p>

<br />

This is a common fear. However it is pretty hard, physically, to actually hit the bar during a layout. During my few years of coaching I've never had anyone clip their toes on a layout (it's not impossible, just never happened) but I've seen a few clipped tucks.</p></blockquote>

Alright, I'll try them soon!

Oldrich Polreich

My two cents about back tuck:

It is good, but if you want to further improve it, work on looking forward as long as possible before you tuck. Also try to be more agressive when tucking - quickly snap in and out. I'm using really tight cowboy tuck, but it depends on your goals. (if you are a gymnast, you probably don't want to play cowboy)

Yaad Mohammad
Oldřich Polreich said:
My two cents about back tuck:

It is good, but if you want to further improve it, work on looking forward as long as possible before you tuck. Also try to be more agressive when tucking - quickly snap in and out. I'm using really tight cowboy tuck, but it depends on your goals. (if you are a gymnast, you probably don't want to play cowboy)

I always do the looking forward trick unless I'm messing around with my backflip. If you look at the first backflip in slow-motion you'll see it. The agressive tucking is something I should do yes, makes it look better. I'll try them soon!

Joshua Slocum

If you're looking to compete on floor, I wouldn't put any more time into standing back tucks except as a warmup. They're a neat party trick but of no use in FX. You'd be better served working a roundoff back tuck or handspring back tuck. 

Yaad Mohammad
jfslocum said:
If you're looking to compete on floor, I wouldn't put any more time into standing back tucks except as a warmup. They're a neat party trick but of no use in FX. You'd be better served working a roundoff back tuck or handspring back tuck. 

Yeah you're probably right. But I'm a dancer next to gymnastics. I'd like to use it for some of my dances.