Olifting for gymnasts

Started by Ido Portal, December 13, 2008 · 60 Replies · 41,795 Views

Joshua Naterman

Huh... that explains why I got up to dips with 100 lbs so fast back in the day...

braindx
slizzardman said:
Huh... that explains why I got up to dips with 100 lbs so fast back in the day...

Yeah, and that's only if you focus on them specifically.

After a couple sessions of weighted dips after having done gymnastics strength work for about 8 months I got up to about 3/4 my bodyweight for reps.

Joshua Naterman

D-Dayamn! That's really good, man! I'm working on getting full ROM on the ring dips, it is SO much harder than the 90 degree bulgarians. I don't know what I'm doing with weight, I need to dig out my belt and chain.

Mason89

I know its been a while since any 1 posted here but i was just reading the thread n had a thought to add to the discussion (im only a newbie to this but heres my opinion) if ur legs get bigger and stronger wont ur upper body get bigger and stronger to compensate?

Neal Winkler

Are you talking about the whole, "if you legs get bigger bro that will make your upper body grow too," thing? That isn't true.

Mason89

No not at all, i was thinking if ur legs get bigger and heavier surely ur upper body would have to adapt to carryin and pulling the extra weight about?

Neal Winkler

Oh, you mean if your legs are bigger then that means it will require more tension in the upper body to hold the position, and thus strength will increase.

Yes, that is true. But for higher level skills the legs can get bigger than the upper body will be able to adapt too.

Mason89

i see, tht answers my question thank u!

taedoju

i think that doing something like PTTP program with deadlifts would work for gymnast, actually i'm trickster, doing squats and deadlifts helped my acrobatics a lot, and i know i will get back to them as soon as i develop some good basics in gymnastic skills.

Joshua Naterman

Don't let them go! Just maintain them! A few sets once a week or a hard workout once every other week is enough to maintain your current level of strength with the deadlifts and squats. That way you can concentrate your energy on other pursuits without losing the gains you have worked hard for!

taedoju

hmm that actually wouldn't crossed my mind, i missed those deadlifts...mayby i will add them somewhere to the mix :) i just need to think it through