This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Jonathan's Journey To Becoming A Beast

Started by Jonathan Mead, January 3, 2013 · 20 Replies · 229 Views

Jonathan Mead

Starting to do Gymnastic Bodies' programming again after doing some other gymnastic stuff for a while.

 

Excited to see where this will lead!

 

Thursday, January 3rd, 2013:

 

WU: General mobility + Pain Free exercises

 

 

5 Stall Bar RLL
10 Killers
5 Curl-ups
20m Sled Sprint
 
Skill work:
1arm cartwheel practice
Strict bar muscleup practice
 
Cooldown: full body stretching + full body foam rolling
Jonathan Mead

Friday, January 4th, 2013

 

WU: Upper body mobility, bike ride to gym and pain free exercises.

 

Four rounds:

2 front pulls

5' Cirque

2 front pulls

3 FL pulls

5 lat flys

2 front pulls

 

Skill work: mushroom circles and box press straddle hs.

 

Cooldown: stretching, foam rolling.

 

Notes: need to get better extension on the FL pulls. My pulling strength in general is pretty weak, so I'm really looking forward to improvement.

 

txtumbler

If you haven't already seen it, you might find this helpful on your double leg circles:

 

Jonathan Mead

That's a fantastic video, hadn't seen it before. Thanks man.

Jonathan Mead

Saturday, January 5th, 2013

 

WU: General upper body mobility

 

1x10 Wrist Pushups

2x4 Cast Wall Walks

2x3 Pike Press HeS

2x5 Straddle Press HeS (also did a few reps of straddle press wall hs)

5x25 seconds of stomach to wall facing handstands

 

Cooldown: upper body stretching and pain free exercises for neck

 

Wow. I definitely feel it in my shoulders today, that's for sure. I'm so excited about going through a whole cycle of the WODs and seeing how my strength transforms!

Jonathan Mead

Monday, January 7th, 2013

 

WU: Upper body mobility, 5 fx pushups, 5 pb dips, 5 negative bar dips

 

15s tuck ring lsit + 5 tempo ring dips

15s tuck BL + 5 half negative ring MU

15s tuck FL + 5 tempo half HLL

 

10 Bridge Wall Walks

 

Cooldown: upper body stretching

 

I can definitely tell it's going to take me a few weeks to adjust to this level of work and maximal strength training. In the past few months I was primarily focused on skill work only with some minimal strength training maintenance.

 

Today I was too burnt out to work on any skill stuff. I'm going to try to do a bit before heavy maximal strength days moving forward.

 

Still need to figure out my proper FSP progressions so I can start doing a SSC and working on it daily. Going to do some research and potential testing today to figure that out.

Jonathan Mead

Tuesday, January 8th, 2013

 

WU: Lower body mobility + Pain Free Exercises + 1mile bike ride to gym

 

4 Rounds:

60sec Jump Rope

30m Sled Sprint - 45 lbs.

60sec Jump Rope

20m Squat Jumps (these were tough!)

60sec Jump Rope

5 Depth Jumps

 

Cooldown: Lower body stretching + 1mi. bike ride home

 

Notes: This workout seriously kicked my ass. Didn't have enough energy to complete all the depth jumps, but I think I'll be able to do the full workout during the next cycle. This was also my first time doing sled sprints, which were pretty fun, in a grueling kind of way.

 

Afraid of how sore I'm going to be tomorrow...

Jonathan Mead

Thursday, January 10th, 2013

 

WU: 1mi bike ride to gym, full body mobility, pain free exercises

 

FSP testing (max hold times to failure):

 

FL tuck: 30 seconds

BL tuck: 30 seconds

Adv. frog: 30 seconds

Lsit floor: 10 seconds

Straddle pbar low: 20 seconds

 

I'm trying to figure out how to best incorporate the FSP training into my workout. Not sure if I should halve these times and do sets to 60s, or choose an easier variation and perform as warmups like I've noticed some of the advanced guys doing.

 

WOD:

 

Three Rounds:

10 Half Windshield Wipers (tucked)

10 Overhead Lunges (60lb sandbag)

20m Backward Sled Sprint (50 lbs.)

5 GHR

 

Cooldown: Stretching, Pain Free Exercises, Foam Rolling, 1mi. bike ride home.

Jonathan Mead

Video here:

 

 

As much as possible I will try to record and post videos of my workouts when I have the time. Any critique or advice on technique is always welcome and appreciated.

Jonathan Mead

Saturday, January 12th, 2013

 

WU: Mobility and shoulder warmup

 

1x9 Cast Wall Walks

3, 3, 2, 2 Pike Press HeS

4, 3, 3 Straddle Press HeS

3 minutes HS Wall Runs

 

Cooldown: shoulder stretching and Pain Free exercises

 

I took it pretty easy today because I was still feeling a lot of soreness in my shoulders from the workout on Thursday. In the HS Wall Runs I mostly focused on just getting comfortable moving from one hand to the other. My ability to fully extend my shoulder/scapula is much better on the left side, so I need to balance that out.

Jonathan Mead

After two short weeks I'm feeling stronger than ever. I really wish I had been doing GB conditioning regularly all along, but the missing link for me was learning skills and skill development (like tumbling), which is why I switched to some other types of training for a while. Now I'm going to stick with this and start to figure out how I can incorporate skill development within this strength and conditioning program.

Jonathan Mead

Monday, January 14th, 2013

 

WU: 1mi. bike ride to gym, upper body mobility.

 

FSP: 4x15s: Lsit PB tuck, Straddle Lsit PB bent, FL tuck, BL tuck flat back, Adv. Frog

 

Skill work: Front Flip + 1 Arm Cartwheel

 

Conditioning:

 

Four Rounds:

1 Cast Wall Walk

3 HSPU

1 Cast Wall Walk

5 XR Dip to Lsit

1 Cast Wall Walk

7 FX PPP

 

Jonathan Mead

Tuesday, January 15th, 2013

 

WU: 1mi. bike ride to gym, full body mobility, shoulder + scapula band routine

 

FSP: 4x15s of Adv. Frog, Lsit PB tuck, Straddle Lsit PB bent

 

WOD:

 

3 Sets:

MU > 2 dips > shoulder stand > fwd roll to MU > shoulder stand > negative reverse MU > inverted hang > 2 negative front pulls > 2 negative back pulls

 

4x15 seconds:

Tuck FL

HS Stomach to Wall

GH

 

2x10 Wall Extensions

 

Cooldown: stretching, pain free exercises, 1mi. bike ride home

 

Jonathan Mead

Other notes I thought I'd add:

 

Age: 27

Weight: 170lbs.

Height: 6'0"

 

Since end of December I have gained two pounds, from 168.0 to 172.2. It's all lean muscle, so I'm pretty stoked about that. 

 

Goals for 2013:

 

FSP:

Back lever for decent time (have done this before but only 1-2 seconds). 

FL straddle

V sit

Planche Adv. Tuck

 

Other goals:

Middle Splits

Strict slow bar muscleups

Back flip

Front flip

Aerial

HSPUs

Straddle HS Press

Jonathan Mead

Thursday, January 17th, 2013

 

WU: 1mi. bike ride to gym, full body mobility, pullups, headstands, lsits

 

FSP: 4x15s or Adv. Frog + Straddle Lsit PB bent (put more of a focus today really trying to get hollow in the adv. frog)

 

WOD:

 

3 Sets:

 

1 Embedded BL + 5 Tempo FL Pulls
1 Embedded L-sit  + 5 Chest Roll to HeS
1 Embedded FL + 5 Tempo L-sit Lifts
 
10 Bridge Wall Walks
 
Skill work: Bar muscleup (assisted with bands), HS to BaS to Chest Roll
 
Cooldown: Stretching, Pain Free Exercises, Foam Rolling, 1mi. bike ride home
 
Notes: Felt pretty good today. The Chest Roll to HeS was more me awkwardly flailing on the ground. Need to practice this more as I feel it's more of a skill move.
Jonathan Mead

Tuesday, January 22nd, 2013

 

 

3x5 GHR
3x3 SLS
3x5 HeS RLL
 
I'm trying to get the skill of SLS with perfect form, so I'm doing them as a skill move now rather than trying to build up strength/endurance with improper form.
Jonathan Mead

Wednesday, January 23rd, 2013

 

WU: Mobility + all FSP's 4x15seconds

 

 

1x10 Wrist Pushups - piked hips on knees
12 Cast Wall Walks
2x5 Pike Press HeS
2x10 Straddle Wall Press HS
Walking HSPU Ladders - I couldn't figure this out so I just did 3x3 HSPUs against the wall trying to maintain perfect hollow position.
 
1x10 Wrist Pushups
Jonathan Mead

Friday, January 25th, 2013


 


WU: 1mi. bike ride to gym + general full body mobility


 


FSP 4x15s: Adv. Frog, PB Straddle Bent, PB Lsit tuck, FL tuck, BL tuck


 


Complete four rounds:


5m Senders 

5 Box Jumps

5m Senders 

10 Squat Jumps


5m Senders 


5 Depth Jumps

 

Cooldown: Full body stretching + foam rolling

 

Later in the evening I did a lot of lacrosse ball work on the upper back and terres and serratus, plus some pain free exercises.

 

Notes: Senders were 8'' 14'' and 24''. Squat jumps were 36'' (new PR!). Depth jumps were 48'' (another PR!)
Jonathan Mead

Saturday, January 26th, 2013

 

WU: 1mi. bike ride to gym, full body mobility, band routine for shoulders and scapula.

 

 

3 sets of: MU, forward roll MU to BL, lower to German Hang, pullout to hanging L, Crank, Reverse Crank, FL
5x15 seconds FL
5x15 seconds Free HS
5x15 seconds German Hang
 
Skill work: Free HS practice. Hit new PR of 35 seconds! Booyah!
 
Cooldown: Foam rolling chest, shoulders, lats, biceps, triceps, forearms. Stretching. 1mi. bikeride home.
 
Skipped other FSPs today due to fatigue and soreness. Listening to my body and being better at knowing when not to push too hard.
Jonathan Mead

Monday, January 28th, 2013

 

WU: 1mi. bike ride, full body mobility

 

FSPs: 4x15s: Straddle PB Sit Bent, Adv. Frog

 

3 Sets:

1 Embedded PB tuck Lsit + 5 tempo Russian Dips (rocked back partially)

1 Embedded Tuck BL + 5 tempo Curl Ups

1 Embedded Tuck FL + 5 tempo Vups

 

8 Bridge Wall Walks

 

5 mile bike ride running errands.

 

Cooldown: stretching, lacrosse balling.

 

Felt pretty solid today! Excited to be on week FIVE of Gymnastic Bodies conditioning. Feeling stronger than ever. Feeling momentum.

Jonathan Mead

Tuesday, January 29th, 2013

 

WU: 1mi. bike ride to gym, full body mobility, Pain Free exercises

 

FSPs: 2x30s of: Dead Hang, Ring Support, HBH, ABH

 

Four rounds:

2 Lsit press to Tuck Pl

4 HeSPU

2 Lsit press to Tuck Pl

5 Bar Dips

2 Lsit press to Tuck Pl

3 Wheels

 

Cooldown: Pain Free Exercises for Neck, upper body stretching, lacrosse ball massage, 1mi. bike ride home.