Hello all,
I personally suffer from abismal hamstring compression and straddle flexibility. I stretch and foam roll daily just to prevent my muscles from tightening up into short, knotted chunks of meat. This is the biggest problem I have encountered for training press handstands, and currently press to headstand on handstand WODs, because I lack the flexibility to press to handstand without leaning forward substantially (which I also lack the planche strength to do). I have a suggestion that I hope will help others with my predicament.
I have found that performing static stretching immediately followed by a dynamic movement to be extremely helpful. For instance, for today's handstand WOD I preceded each set of HS press with a static stretch. Each pike HS press was preceded with a pike stretch, and each straddle press was preceded with the closest think I can do to a pancake stretch. I find this addresses two factors that affect flexibility:
1. The stretch reflex, what Pavel refers to as antagonist passive insufficiency. This is the nervous systems response to an attempt to lengthen the muscle: the muscle tightens, leading to the muscle length that is the limit of our current flexibility.
2. Weakness in the antagonist muscles. When I first learned to perform pistols and hanging leg lifts, I initially thought I could not perform them properly because of hamstring inflexibility. As I progressed I realized that It was not flexibility, but a lack of strength in my abs, hip flexors, and quadriceps that prevented me from performing the movements.
The combination of passive flexibility, and strengthening of antagonist muscles that comes from combining passive stretches with active movements addresses both of these issues and leaves me feeling immediately more limber and mobile.
I am not an expert but this has worked well for me. Tell me what you think of this idea and correct me if I've said anything incorrect.