Redundancy!

Started by alec_ar, December 31, 2012 · 4 Replies · 1,893 Views

alec_ar

I hope this doesn't come off as stuffy, but with the influx of so many new members (exciting!) I think it's more pertinent than ever to reinforce the idea of briefly browsing the forums before you post a new topic, as there is often times the same exact information and subject out there and information tends to just get kind of regurgitated. Couldn't hurt to glance and check before you post something new. I assume this would save the moderators a lot of work.

Here's to hoping THIS isn't already a topic haha. :)

Joshua Slocum

This is not specific to BTGB: it is good etiquette throughout the internet. 

 

That said, what would you suggest be done about it? 

Joshua Naterman

I am actually slowly working to compile the most common questions into another locked "FAQ" thread in each area, but I'll have to run a few of them by Coach.

 

You're going to see an awful lot of these disappear because a whole lot of things, particularly programming, is pretty well covered in  the forthcoming edition. Unlike the original book, which is great, things are spelled out so clearly that it's almost impossible to screw up unintentionally.

 

We just have to kind of ride this out until then :)

Rik de Kort
This is not specific to BTGB: it is good etiquette throughout the internet.

And not even half of the people ever do it. Even if there is a FAQ and it says: "READ THIS BEFORE POSTING", they will not read it. It pisses me off to no end.

alec_ar

@jfslocum, my only suggestion was in the OP. Basically, although most people won't care enough to take the time, my suggestion is: before someone posts a topic it would be nice for them to look at least towards the bottom of the page they're on to see if there's something nearly identical there. And to take a moment to think whether or not where they're posting a topic in the right place.

Reposts and improper post location are things I've noticed for awhile, (and back when I was a new member used to be guilty of multiple times) but the hyped CTI posts were the straws that broke the camels back. Within an hour I saw at least three separate topics about the same vid lol. Oh and also topics about the next books and when they will be released etc, are pretty plentiful these days.